Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback Regret?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Nearly two years and 15k later and quite happy with mine. 6' 225lbs. G F is happy on the back. No more of a parts bin bike than any other member within a Harley family. It has unique suspension in the dyna line, bags redesigned to fit the bike, nacelle looks like a road king part but is in fact a different piece, unique bag mounts, unique wheels, seat.

Last edited by Switchback12; 06-17-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the wheels. Would look good on my FXDB.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 PM
45fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just bought ours this spring but we are very happy with it. Different strokes, if everyone rode the same bike life would be boring. I like the touring models but they don't look as good with the bags off. Plus, Lighter is Faster....

Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I really like the switchbacks. I test rode one at a demo day and it felt perfect for me, 6ft but only 160lbs. If I could've afforded it I would have got one instead of my superglide, but my superglide was half the price of a new switchback

Old 06-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I never warmed to the Switchback until I saw a picture of one where the owner removed the bags, replaced the cast wheels with spokes, and added spring seat. Looked like an old FL. Totally cool.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Chinashop bull
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
I never warmed to the Switchback until I saw a picture of one where the owner removed the bags, replaced the cast wheels with spokes, and added spring seat. Looked like an old FL. Totally cool.
Funny how perspective differs. First time I saw the switchback I imagined the bike you described. Bought one the next day without ever having seen one in the flesh. 2 months later she looks like this.

I've now had her a year and put 30,000km on her. Love it. Rekindled my love of Harleys. Granted she doesn't have the soul of an old UL, but she goes a damn sight better.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 AM
SixSpeed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine a month ago or so, and it's my first Harley, so here's that kind of a perspective:

When I started looking, I didn't know the differences between the sportster, dyna and softail models, so I read a ton of stuff here. I knew I didn't want a bigger bike like a road king, and I wanted something that handled well (which led me to the dynas). I wasn't interested in the fat bobs or low bobs or sponge bobs style of bikes. It was either a super glide (and then add bags, wind screen, cast wheels) or the switchback. The Heritage Classic softtail also caught my eye, but not enough to 'switch' back...

If I hadn't found the cheap and effective fix to the vibration issue though, I'd be a lot unhappier with my bike. It fits me perfect, is big enough but not too big.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Damn, don't beautiful photos like this just make you want to get out and ride?
I like how the SB looks nice w/o bags. I wish they could incorporate this in the RK.

Originally Posted by Chinashop bull

Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

i bought a wide glide but after seeing/riding the switchback knew it was what i wanted.. traded the wide glide for the switch back after only 6 months of ownership and 2200 miles... nothing wrong with it BUT if you decide you like something better and you wait too long you will lose too much trade in value..

so i traded for what I really wanted and after a few mods to make it my own have been 100% happy for 18+ months.. biggest complaint for the switchback is that vibration from the exhaust design that for $5 can be fixed in about 15 minutes...

could be that a lot of the trade ins you are seeing are people that couldn't stand the vibration or take the time to research what a fix was for it OR it could be that they bought the switchback and decided that touring was what they really liked and wanted to move up to an all out touring ride such as a few of the members switchback owners site have been doing..

i am also 5'5" but unlike a previous poster do not find the switchback to be cramped
at all especially with the floorboards which allow multiple positions for your feet...

Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 AM
swanny2369
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very happy with mine. I thought I wanted to upgrade to a Streetglide for awhile until I actually spent some time behind the controls of my dads FLHX... I am however I firm believer that no matter what bike you get, you need to make it your own. Period.

I am 6'1 225 and wasn't truly happy with my FLD until I swapped the bars and changed the seat. Now I can stretch out and straighten my legs for a nice comfortable ride. I'v "made it my own" fitting it to what I feel to be comfortable.

In all honesty I could have gotten away with a RK and been just as happy. However the RK in its stock form looks like complete sh*t IMO. If I wanted a bike that looked like it came straight out of the 1980's, then I would have bought a RK.

However when I knew I wanted a new Harley I knew I wanted something with hard lockable bags, a removable windshield and was going to still be light enough not to feel like a tank and still have strong power for two up riding. Radio would have been nice but it was never high enough on my list to justify something different.

I would have been just as happy with a touring model. however its nice to see a bike that doesn't look like

Quick Reply: Switchback Regret?