Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback Regret?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 821 Posts
Default Switchback Regret?

Something I've noticed that I'm very curious about. It seems like almost every HD dealer I've visited, and on "motorcycle for sale" websites all over the internet, there are lots of 1 year old Switchbacks, with less than 2,000 miles, that have already been traded in for something else. The dealers in my area have at least a dozen one year old Switchbacks in their used bike area. What's the deal with them being traded in so quickly? Are people that bought them that anxious to get rid of them? This is a serious question as I was looking at possibly buying one in the Spring.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Probably people trading for purpose built baggers. People buy what they consider a budget bike for touring purposes then trade when they want a bigger back seat or a better radio.

The Switchback guys here seem to be happy with their bikes. The only issue I'm aware of it the vibrations from the stock pipes.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't been to a dealer in some time, but the switchback is a pretty cool platform for a touring dyna.

if I had spare cash laying around id pick one up...

Old 06-17-2013, 10:55 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I think there are a lot of Harleys traded in for different models. I bought mine at the dealer with 600 miles on it. The previous owner was trading for the second time in about 8 months. Just be sure of what you want, and if you like the Switchback, maybe you will be able to negotiate a really good deal.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 AM
45fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a switchback and love it. I think you are noticing the used switchbacks because you are looking at them. My local dealer has a 2011 WG with 1200 miles on it and a fat bob with 2000 miles on it. They just took back a Heritage with 250 miles on it. I don't think it is the bike, it is the people. I don't know what they are looking for???

Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In 2009 I bought a brand new 1200XLC Sportster and really enjoyed it as my first bike since the 1960s
when I had a '58 BSA 650. I really like the Sporty, but after a few months, I realized that I was now
primarily interested in long distance riding and while the Sporty was quite capable of it, I wanted a
bike that was less tiring on long rides so I traded it in after 6 months and 6,000 miles on a 2009 FXDC.

When I bought the Sporty, I was consciously trying to find a modern, improved, equivalent of the bikes
I'd ridden as a kid and the Sporty certainly filled that bill. What I hadn't realized that the opportunities
for incredible distance rides here in the Southwest were so vastly better than where I'd grown up back
East that my whole focus changed.

If I hadn't been so taken with distance riding, I'd still be very happy with the Sporty, but the FXDC is
just a much better compromise. It's fun to ride locally in basic form and it easily adapts to a whole buncha
quick load / quick unload gear for long rides (see sig pic). So I think sometimes people may have a pretty
clear idea of what they want, make a good selection based on those wants, but then find entirely new
interests that they never could have anticipated.

Last week I finished up a 4,100 mile, 14 day solo ride on the Dyna and my wife was amazed at how NON
stressed, NON beaten up I was when I got home. I could have done the same ride on the Sporty, but
it would have taken more out of me doing so.

Call it "buyer evolution"..

Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

My problem with the switchback was size. I love the bike I love the platform but I always felt crampt on it like I needed another inch. I swapped seats, bars still nada (6'3" 280lbs). Kept the switchback (now wife's primary bike) traded her 1200c and got a CVO Road King. Just like my switchy only bigger and a little quicker but same versatility. ..

Old 06-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd guess its because they are a fugly motorcycle that look like they were bolted together from the left-overs bucket. Just a wild guess.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:59 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd guess its because they are a fugly motorcycle that look like they were bolted together from the left-overs bucket. Just a wild guess
I have to agree...I hate them.
If I wanted a touring bike I would buy a road king not a dressed up dyna

Old 06-17-2013, 02:25 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

I rode tested a switchback and fat bob the same day. Switchback felt cramped (I'm 5'5") aje didn't stop well. Much better handling than the softail I owned. Overall I just wasn't a fan of the fld. I thought the bob was a much better riding machine.

Quick Reply: Switchback Regret?