Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear strut/ fender options

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear strut/ fender options

Well, as many of you know I got rear ended on my bob last week, and it was pending being totaled. Well overall the bike was in good shape, minus the rear. And they decided not to total it. Instead I am getting a check to have a bunch of stuff repaired or replaced. Most of the things on the list took a very small scratch, which I plan on having touched up instead of buying all new parts. The big ticket item here is the frame, which I need your help with.

The struts are connected to the frame, and so with them being bent, its a whole new frame. ($3000) Well, here's my question. Since we'd all rather have that cash in the pocket, judging by the looks of the struts, would you say I could A) Have a shop bend them straight 'er' by heating or what have you. B) Cut them past where the bends are and tweak/modify a rear fender like a few of you have done. Or C) Just have them replace the frame. (Bike will be down 6-10 weeks)
Not quite sure what to do, I do still want a passenger, and from what I can see the struts are only really off 1/4-1/2 inch, with the bend being on the left strut about 3" past the tail light.

What should I do? Ideas?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:46 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the struts entirely. They are filled with fluid and are toast at this point. No way around that. REPLACE THE FRAME! The bike will NOT ride true at all with a bent frame. They are paying to have it fully restored to be a safe bike. Most likely you tell Harley you are not going to replace the frame they wont let the bike out of the shop as its a huge risk. Its going to be down for a bit BUT it will be like new. I know the 3K sounds nice in your pocket however its not going to make the bike safe nor will you be happy knowing that there are bent parts on your bike.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, Id have to say fix the frame bro. That's kind of a big deal. If you dont repair the frame, your likely to have a "salvaged" title, making your bikes value drop to next to nothing...

Old 06-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Struts are filled with fluid? What? Its not just a piece of metal supporting the fender and passenger?
And, it may not look it in the pictures but, the struts are really not that out of place... Maybe its just wishful thinking but, from what I've seen and been told, the 'frame' damage stops just past the tail light so it wont change any ride quality either. Unless chopping struts changes that... maybe someone who's done it can chime in.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

remove the fender, slide a big long pipe over the strut and bend it back,, it.may need to be heated depending where your trying to bend it.... I had to bend my struts out about a half of an inch to get a 200 tire on my bike.. the fender struts have nothing to do with your bike rolling true,, there only there to support your fender and passenger... you could completely cut them off if a passenger wasn't a requirement

Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Take the fender off and take measurements and eye ball it to be sure it's bent and its not just the fender bent to hell

Old 06-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Danish-chopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends.. If you are the kind of guy who likes everything close to original... Then i would definately get them to change the frame. Otherwice if you are handy yourself and would like to spend some of the money rebuilding your bob and it is only the struts that is bend i would do this:
Cut the struts..
Buy the voodoo fender kit with bolt on fenderstruts
Buy a used rear rim on ebay
Slam rear end

But there is a lot of ifs... I dont know rules in your country with cutting the frame. Or how bad damages are.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM
ravnos5811
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bend the struts back. It's to support the passenger. On a lot of others bikes thats a sub structure.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Well, the damages are minimal. I'm thinkin it can be bend straight enough to get a new fender put on and then carry on as usual. If I can't get em bent back, I'll have to modify the struts and create somethin new.(Which might be fun)
I'll be seeing the bike Monday, its still down at the dealership as of right now. Goin on 2 weeks without my bike. Its hell.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danish-chopper
It all depends.. If you are the kind of guy who likes everything close to original... Then i would definately get them to change the frame. Otherwice if you are handy yourself and would like to spend some of the money rebuilding your bob and it is only the struts that is bend i would do this:
Cut the struts..
Buy the voodoo fender kit with bolt on fenderstruts
Buy a used rear rim on ebay
Slam rear end

But there is a lot of ifs... I dont know rules in your country with cutting the frame. Or how bad damages are.
+1 on that....

Quick Reply: Rear strut/ fender options