Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reflecting while recoverying from my first serious accident in 29 years of riding HD'

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Ceecee Paul
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reflecting while recoverying from my first serious accident in 29 years of riding HD'

I bought my First harley Davidson the day after i turned 17 and have not had one day of my life go buy since without owning HD motorcycle.My first bike was a 1976 FLH that was chopped to the heavens 10 up 4 out with a 37 and a half degree rake 14 inch over springer front end on a hardtail frame..

Over the years i mostly have always rode hand built by me choppers..For the last couple years i started riding less and less due to the simple fact my body was no longer able to take the miles on my choppers..

Fall of last year i sold my Panhead and bought a stock sitting Wide Glide .Of course it did not stay stock for long .I just can not leave well enough alone..Custom paint,1 off handle bars,1 off sissy bars,Custom fenders stretched tanks and the list goes on..At least i left it as a foot shifter and i did not cut anything up...

Anyway i'm getting off point..Monday i had my first what i would call serious accident..Of course i have had some minor things like pulling into wet grass and having the front end slide out or things along that nature over the years but nothing with considerable damage to body or bike ..Although i will say my pride took a hit on some of the minor spills..

But wouldn't you know it that my first accident would come riding a completely 100% stock Springer Softail..After all the years riding my crazy homemade choppers i tumble with a stock bike..

I forgot to mention i work for a building bikes for a living and this particular bike was a trade in..As the story goes it was loaner that i was putting some miles on while i was installing a S&S 510G gear cam drive kit on my Wide Glide.. It was the last day i was going to have it and i was going into work when a 82 year old man hit me from behind..I was doing about 45 on a city road and bang the rest is history..My days of saying i have never had a serious accident is over..

I always had the stock riders looking at my wild contraptions saying man your going to kill yourself on that thing.Well they where wrong its the stock bikes that are dangerous according to my riding history..Of course i do not believe this but it sure sound good..

The one thing i have learned about crashing is that people are right about..It sucks and it is painful..

Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you're able to reflect. Heal fast!!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Seems like all accidents I hear about now are rear enders, sure makes it more difficult to stay upright, anyway get well soon!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:14 PM
bebowebb
Road Master

Hope your injuries heal quickly and you're back on the road in no time!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Buff58
Cruiser

Hate to hear it

Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you get well soon and back to riding.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Duplicate

Last edited by HYPR; 06-20-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 PM
HYPR
Road Master

Originally Posted by alansummrs
Seems like all accidents I hear about now are rear enders, sure makes it more difficult to stay upright, anyway get well soon!

More the reason why I don't stop in the middle of a lane, instead a stop to the right or left at an angle watching my rear view mirrors while in gear with the clutch pulled in.
I also don't stay in one lane too long so drivers behind me don't zone me out.
I just installed two LED spots and am installing HIDs on Saturday (left Johnny write that ticket...at least I'll be alive to pay it!). My exhaust is anything but quite, my stereo is blasting. Believe me they won't miss me.
Bob

Last edited by HYPR; 06-20-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 PM
HYPR
Road Master

Duplicate post

Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I hate to hear it, but I'd much rather hear it from you than read it in obituary.

Hope you get better soon.

Quick Reply: reflecting while recoverying from my first serious accident in 29 years of riding HD'