Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the new 06-07 dyna engine/trans interface cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:38 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installed the new 06-07 dyna engine/trans interface cover

Yesterday I was at the dealer, and it just so happened that they had the new 07 dyna engine/trans interface cover. I've been waiting for this since I started buying chrome for my bike (since day 1), and a few weeks ago, someone (sorry..forgot who), posted that HD just released this as a new part. I knew it was next on my list. Anyway, I picked it up yesterday for 100 bucks at the local dealer. I went out to the cold garage last night to install it. My buddy at the dealer told me it looked like a "three beer job"...which for me, means at least 7 or 8

So I started the job around 8pm, and finished around 11:30. I know...I'm a little slower...but I'm glad I was able to do it. I did, however, run into a few snags...which of course, the manual/instructions don't mention whatsoever. First, the top trans cover (the entire kit consists of 4 covers altogether), was tricky getting it to slide in place. I was finally able to push a few wires/hoses back, and slip it in from the right side of the bike...despite the fact that the instructions say it can be slid into place from either the right or left side of the bike. I do have a question while I'm posting....when I was slipping this particular cover on, I noticed a hose coming out of the top of the transmission top cover...the hose is threaded with a bolt into the top trans cover...but on the other end...nothing. It's not connected to anything...just a rubber hose about 4 or 5 inches long coming out of the cover, with curved bend to it. Anyone have any idea what this is/what it's here for..if it's not connected to anything. Figured I'd ask before I break out the service manual.

The second snag I ran into was when I was installing the lower side cover (which wraps around the oil filler cover). Reason I had a problem was because I had previously installed a clutch cable connector....well...the lower cover I was trying to install wouldn't fit in there with the clutch cable connector installed at the same time. So now I had to remove this...should've been easy, but I when I installed it, I used double sided rubber (3M type) tape to hold it in place...becuase the screws in it wouldn't hold it securly in place and it would keep sliding down the cable. Once I was finally able to remove that, the rest of the install wasn't too bad....

except, of course, the third snag was the final part of the installation which had me removing two bolts behind the rear exhaust pipe...these bolts hold the larger side cover in place. I got the first bolt out no problem, but when I was removing the second bolt, the exhaust wasn't allowing enough clearance to totally remove the bolt. Now I had to loosen the exhaust just to remove one stupid bolt.

Needless to say, it was one of the larger projects I've tackled with this bike. I know...to some of you, this is child's play...but it was a rough one for me nontheless. I really felt like I accomplished something...despite the fact that I used quite a few expletives throughout the process, banged up my knuckles on the engine fins numerous times...and got the beer sh*ts real bad this morning.

The only thing is, now...I have the clutch cable connector, and have no use for it. I believed I paid 25 bucks for it new...and other than a tiny nick in the top of it from when I was removing it, it's perfect. The nick is completly hidden anyway.
So I figured I'd throw this out here. If anyone wants it, let me know...I figure 10 bucks plus shipping (which shouldn't be more than a couple bucks), and it's yours. I've attached a picture of the cable connector, in case you're wondering what I'm talking about. Also, I snapped a few pictures of the cover/s I installed last night. They're garage pics, so they're not very good....but this cover really looks fantastic, and chr

Old 02-26-2007, 03:31 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,750 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Default RE: Installed the new 06-07 dyna engine/trans interface cover

Sorry for the long post (is that an understatement or what!)...
.it was just an eventful night for me last night..
..I haven't had a good night with my bike in a while.
It was great to spend some time with her again.
Nice job venic. Feels good, donut.

I know that feelin - cold night,
trying to slipit in from the left. Won't quite fit.
Oops gotta do it right. Right. Just right.

I see from the picture you wiped it off real good when you got done.
Shiny.

May get in some time next week ta screw around with my little dyna.
We gotta cold front comin in on Friday.
Sposta get down into the mid 70s.

mud

[quote]ORIGINAL: veniculum

Yesterday I was at the dealer, and it just so happened that they had the new 07 dyna engine/trans interface cover. I've been waiting for this since I started buying chrome for my bike (since day 1), and a few weeks ago, someone (sorry..forgot who), posted that HD just released this as a new part. I knew it was next on my list. Anyway, I picked it up yesterday for 100 bucks at the local dealer. I went out to the cold garage last night to install it. My buddy at the dealer told me it looked like a "three beer job"...which for me, means at least 7 or 8

So I started the job around 8pm, and finished around 11:30. I know...I'm a little slower...but I'm glad I was able to do it. I did, however, run into a few snags...which of course, the manual/instructions don't mention whatsoever. First, the top trans cover (the entire kit consists of 4 covers altogether), was tricky getting it to slide in place. I was finally able to push a few wires/hoses back, and slip it in from the right side of the bike...despite the fact that the instructions say it can be slid into place from either the right or left side of the bike. I do have a question while I'm posting....when I was slipping this particular cover on, I noticed a hose coming out of the top of the transmission top cover...the hose is threaded with a bolt into the top trans cover...but on the other end...nothing. It's not connected to anything...just a rubber hose about 4 or 5 inches long coming out of the cover, with curved bend to it. Anyone have any idea what this is/what it's here for..if it's not connected to anything. Figured I'd ask before I break out the service manual.

The second snag I ran into was when I was installing the lower side cover (which wraps around the oil filler cover). Reason I had a problem was because I had previously installed a clutch cable connector....well...the lower cover I was trying to install wouldn't fit in there with the clutch cable connector installed at the same time. So now I had to remove this...should've been easy, but I when I installed it, I used double sided rubber (3M type) tape to hold it in place...becuase the screws in it wouldn't hold it securly in place and it would keep sliding down the cable. Once I was finally able to remove that, the rest of the install wasn't too bad....

except, of course, the third snag was the final part of the installation which had me removing two bolts behind the rear exhaust pipe...these bolts hold the larger side cover in place. I got the first bolt out no problem, but when I was removing the second bolt, the exhaust wasn't allowing enough clearance to totally remove the bolt. Now I had to loosen the exhaust just to remove one stupid bolt.

Needless to say, it was one of the larger projects I've tackled with this bike. I know...to some of you, this is child's play...but it was a rough one for me nontheless. I really felt like I accomplished something...despite the fact that I used quite a few expletives throughout th

Old 02-26-2007, 04:38 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

May get in some time next week ta screw around with my little dyna.
We gotta cold front comin in on Friday.
Sposta get down into the mid 70s.

mud

Yeah....sure...rub it in. I gotta get the hell outta here. You guys down south/out west got it right!

Todd

Old 02-26-2007, 08:28 AM
CobraSnake
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah thanks for the weather update mud , since in live in freakin KY, still in the 40's here now im depressed.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 AM
mhbetzer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always enjoy reading your stuff, the post may be long but it isn't boring.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:37 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

veniculum,

Nice looking scoot,....Yeah,... I went ahead and removed my rear exhaust when I installed mine, but it was still tricky getting to a couple of those top tranny bolts in the rear. Matter of fact,.... H-D included a big long stubby allen wrench to make getting to those a lil easier, and wouldnt ya know mine snapped trying to remove those top bolts,...LOL. Like you,.... I remember someone on here stating that H-D had just released the transmission/interface covers. This forum has cost me so much $$$,......I'm pretty happy with the results though I wish I had remembered to get me the chrome top transmission cover at the same time.

And about your question,.... I believe that is just a vent hose.

John

John

Old 02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. Yeah...I lucked out...I didn't completely have to loosen the entire exhaust (as the instructions said I might). I was also fortunate that the included allen wrench worked. I could easily see how it could've snapped.

In this case, the forum wasn't really the cause of my spending...I've wanted this thing for a while, and I was frustrated that I saw earlier model WGs with this particular cover...and I couldn't get it for mine because it wasn't available. But I'm glad I was paying attention the day it was posted.

Todd