Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 FXDXI headlight/turn signal wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 AM
05fxdxi
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2005 FXDXI headlight/turn signal wiring

Hello,
I just joined the forum and have run across a problem with my bike this morning. I am trying to remove the headlight and front turn signals so that I can get them powdercoated. I have read up on subject in this forum and have a 2005 HD Dyna shop manual that I have been using. This morning I tried getting access to wiring connections inside frame backbone. I drained tank, removed both mounting bolts and slid tank back. I have read where some firm pulling on wiring is required to pull it out of frame. This resulted in the headlight wiring plug coming unplugged with plug end at least 3 inches inside frame. The turn sinal plugs are still in the frame approx 3 inches also, however they are still connected. I have disconnected and removed the fuel tank. The wiring harness in the frame backbone will not budge! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all responses to my inquiry.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM
kirby666
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if this will help now 12 hours later but did you take the seat off to get to the loop of wires? there is a loop that has to be pushed down and wiggled around to help get the harness to pull all the way out. hope this helps if you haven't got it already.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 AM
Andrew17019
Cruiser

In my 2006 the connectors can be accessed for both underneath the tank by removing the plastic access panel underneath the frame. The connectors are located inside the frame and need to be pulled out and down from underneath, disconnected, and then you can remove the wiring.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 AM
05fxdxi
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by kirby666
not sure if this will help now 12 hours later but did you take the seat off to get to the loop of wires? there is a loop that has to be pushed down and wiggled around to help get the harness to pull all the way out. hope this helps if you haven't got it already.
Thanks for the advice about the harness loop under the seat. I had to stop yesterday and put the bike away due to the weather/thunderstorms in my area. I still have the fuel tank and seat off. I am going to pull the battery out and see if I can get to the harness loop from the rear. I think that Harley must have changed the access plug area on the 2006 dyna models. My 2005 has a really small rubber plug on the top right side of the frame backbone, close to the triple trees. I will have to find the answer as my headlight is now disconnected without a means to re-connect it. I am still open to any suggestions. I will let you know how it turns out. Again, thanks for the response.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

the rubber plug on my 2001 fxdxt was tie wrapped to the harness and the tie wrap had to be cut to release the harness, dealing with that harness is difficult there is not much extra room in the frame to work with but there is plenty of extra wire to allow it to be pulled out

Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM
05fxdxi
3rd Gear

Hello Danofxdx, and thanks for your response. I removed a couple of zip ties from wiring harness on left side of frame backbone the day I tried to work on bike. There were none holding small rubber plug in frame on right side. What did you do to allow the wiring harness to move forward that 3 or 4 inches necessary to access the turn signals/headlight plug connectors? I still have not had a chance to remove the battery, as I have been kept busy with other things going on in my life. My bike is still sitting in the garage pulled apart without a fuel tank on it, the headlight is still disconnected and the plug connectors are still out of reach ,approximately 3 to 4 inches from access hole in frame backbone. I am hoping someone can help fill in the blanks on what I am doing wrong. Thanks again.