Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 connector tender lead

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 PM
3illy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 connector tender lead

Hi, got my new 2013 fxdf with abs+security delivered last night. The dealer didnt disconect the battery and it is dead(it was on a semi for a week and imagine the security system was going nuts). The dealer installed tender lead has 3 connections with a little flashing light. I've had it connected to my to battery tender plus for a little over 11 hours now and am getting 6 volts using a hand tester.

Is it ok for me to use my two connector battery tender plus with the dealer installed three connector lead? Whats that little red flashing light for on the dealer intalled lead? Will the battery charge faster if I put a two connector tender lead on the bike?

My battery tender is showing solid red light that indicates charging so I believe its doing what its supposed to do. Just taking long time.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by 3illy; 06-23-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:33 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Why don't you take your battery out and hook it up to the tender with the highest amp rating. I wouldn't hook up 2 chargers at once

Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 PM
3illy
Tourer

You misunderstand me. I do not have two chargers connected to the bike. I want to know if the new three prong hd tender lead with led is compatible with a Battery Tender Plus(modelname of tender) two prong inserts.

Last edited by 3illy; 06-23-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:05 PM
TX Rebel
Cruiser

The 3 pin is for the 5amp chargers. You can use your two pin charger (LINK) and no it will not charge faster if you change the 3 pin lead to a 2 pin.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Zmann
Advanced

It sounds like you had some type of drain on the battery. It is a new battery, so put the battery on a Battery Charger that puts out 10 Amps for an hour or two, check the voltage when it is back up to 12 volts it should be OK. Then you can use the Battery Maintainer.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:19 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your battery is dead a tender is not the right tool for the job. A tender is designed to keep it fully charged while sitting, but not to charge a dead battery back to life. That's what real chargers with higher amperage are for.

If you have a charger figure out how to hook it up, maybe just clamp it directly to the battery.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:07 AM
3illy
Tourer

TX Rebel, thanks for clearing that up. Zmann, the Dyna owners manual under the battery charging section states: An automatic, constant monitoring battery charger/tender with a charging rate of 5 amps or less at less than 14.6 volts is recommended.

I'm no mechanic or electrical engineer but this statement makes me warry of connecting a charger @ > than 5 amps.

The documentation for my Battery Tender Plus states that if the battery has < 3 volts it will not charge it(blinking red light). So I guess my battery was not completely dead. It also gives me the impression that the product is capable of charging, albeit slowly, my severely drained battery.

I just checked my battery which is now @ 12 volts, from 6 volts eight hours earlier.

Again, thanks for the combined wisdom.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 AM
RebelBugler
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3illy
Hi, got my new 2013 fxdf with abs+security delivered last night. The dealer didnt disconect the battery and it is dead(it was on a semi for a week and imagine the security system was going nuts).
The Dealer didn't need to disconnect the battery.........he just needed to put the bike in "Transport" mode, a very simple procedure that temporarily shuts down the security system while in transit and eliminates the drain on the battery.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:11 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RebelBugler
The Dealer didn't need to disconnect the battery.........he just needed to put the bike in "Transport" mode, a very simple procedure that temporarily shuts down the security system while in transit and eliminates the drain on the battery.

How to put a Harley Davidson in Transport Mode - YouTube
Yup right on, or attach the key fob somewhere on the bike, or remove the main fuse.
glad you got it together 3illy congratz on the new ride!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd call the dealer and ask them to bring a new battery. Th bike is brand new, is it not?

Quick Reply: 3 connector tender lead