Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a fix for a Wooble on a Street bob? Steering damper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 PM
vinzilla
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a fix for a Wooble on a Street bob? Steering damper?

I have a '11 Street bob with 6000 kms on it and when I go faster than 140km/h on a rough road I get a wooble. The first service was done by the previous owner at the dealer. I checked the neck bearing adjustment by doing a fall away check and it was within the limits. My tire pressures are bang on. I've had the bike passed 200 km/h on a nice highway and there's less of a wooble...good highways are hard to find in Saskatchewan lol. The wooble will last until I roll on to the throttle. It's not violent but I wouldn't want it to happen in a corner...not many in Sask either..lol

I ordered a DBI steering damper from BkRider but, didn't like the fit just wasn't clean and didn't trust it.

Can someone suggest a good inexpensive damper? or a fix?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 PM
jakespade
Intermediate

Take to a certified Harley shop and have them take a look to see if you are correct or not. If not, Google a dampener. I don't like them nor do I endorse them. Crotch rockets and dirt bikes have thousands. Maybe have a certified mechanic modify one for your bike.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Several things can cause your wobble.
Bad bearings, HD Factory ones are crap
Balancing, I took all of my weights off and use Dyna beads
Truing/loose or tight spokes
Bad tires

I have a slight wobble when cornering. I am changing the front bearings when all of the parts arrive.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Hammer2284
Intermediate

Try adjusting the rear shocks and make sure they are equal that took away my speed wobbles! !

Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I had a bad wobble from 120-140 km, tried all the above, except for the steering dampner, and ended up with True Tracks stabilizer. Not the cheapest fix though.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I developed a wobble on mine sometime after I went over 5K miles. It only shows up when I cross a seam in the pavement at high speed. I checked all the obvious stuff (fall away, spokes, tire pressure, etc.). I tried different pre-load adjustments and dampening adjustments on my shocks (I have Hagons), but nothing worked.

Here's what I've done so far:

Ness Poly bushings - tried to eliminate the "flex" in my risers/bars - the stock rubber was pretty worn/deformed, but no change.

BKRider steering dampener - definite increase in stability, no longer feel any "wandering" from rain grooves, but still get wobble crossing seams/changing lanes, and it looks like crap on the front end of a Street Bob IMO.

RSD fork brace - mostly for looks because I wanted to get rid of my fender, no change in handling that I can tell.

Sputhe Positrac - expensive, but definitely worth it. Bike feels like it's on rails on the freeway now. All wobble nearly eliminated. I still get an tiny bit if I hit a wide seam over 80mph, but it's almost unnoticeable and I think I'm so sensitive to it that I detect what others might not. In fact, there's only one spot on my commute where it happens as I merge out of the HOV lane. It's nothing like it used to be. I had to slow below 70mph for that stretch of road before because of the scary wobble it would cause. Besides the cost, my only complaint so far is the relocation required for the evap canister.

I hate the way the steering dampener looks, and plan to pull it off this weekend and see how the bike feels without it now that I've got the Positrac.

I know you're looking for an inexpensive solution as I was, but I thought I'd share my trial/error to show how expensive "easter egging" my way to eliminating wobble became. I spent more than the $369 cost of the Sputhe on all the little things leading up to it. In hind sight, I should've bit the bullet early and gone with the Positrac after all the other adjustments were verified. I'd have that extra money for a cam upgrade now.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 AM
pthauvet
Cruiser

Check tires, if you still running stock its a good point to start, wear depends on road surface you usually ride on and how you ride the bike,

good luck

Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Had similar/worse problem on 2 of my Dynas...a Low Rider and an FXDXT. So far the FXDF has been good. Talking to a grey haired tech I know, he suggested going 1/8 turn over spec on the neck bearing. It cured it...seems the spec is just a bit loose in his opinion...cheapest "solution" to try anyhow...keep us informed.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Uscbchuck
Stage II

Get a new front tire man. Had the same prob.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check front and rear wheel alignment. Check shocks.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a fix for a Wooble on a Street bob? Steering damper?