Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild Ideas/Performance Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Inthespiral
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild Ideas/Performance Upgrades?

Let me start by saying I am completely ignorant about motor work/upgrades. On my 1998 Fatboy, I had cam work done, which led to all kinds of issues ($$$). So on my '03 Road King, I kept the motor stock and had nary an issue after putting almost 20k miles on it.

Here's where I stand. I picked up an '02 FXDL (carburated)with 18k miles for cheap. Seemed to ride fine after putting just a few "around the block" miles on it. . Plan was to do a budget bobber build. Got all the parts off, ready for powder coating. Problem is, there are a lot of parts that seem neglected, and I wasn't crazy about how the engine oil or primary oil looked when I drained it. Spark plugs are dark, caked black. Rear brake pads nonexistant.

I'm just curious what you guys think I might need to do, or what I may wanna think about doing, since the bike is basically almost apart (less mechanic labor cost doing engine work)? I'd have to find a shop and pay them obviously. More power is awesome, but that's not how I ride. I just cruise, and might put a few k miles per year on it, but plan on owning this one for about 5 years or so. I'd just hate to put it all back together, then have a damn motor problem sooner than later. But...I don't frown on more power

Any ideas? Remember, this was supposed to be a "budget build", but I've found myself ordering more replacement parts than planned (small stuff, but still). Seems like this bike may have been neglected, and I just wanna make it right, at a minimum.

So, don't mess with it (free) and wait til something goes? Or get some engine work done, that will guarantee me 20k problem free miles? I'd like to keep it under a grand, including potential labor costs.

It might be perfectly fine, and may just need a tune, or nothing at all. But I'm curious what the cheapest engine work might be, where parts are replaced/repaired/enhanced, and how cheap it is from there, to make it better

Here's how she sits right now (I can get it on a trailer and take it to a shop, on my jack):

Last edited by Inthespiral; 06-25-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

I'd pull the cam cover and replace the tensioners. Might as well put some mild cams in there and replace the inner cam bearings while you're doing that.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM
DEW2112
Cruiser

Compression test and leak down test would be the first thing I would do! Might just need a proper tune and fluid change.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DEW2112
Compression test and leak down test would be the first thing I would do! Might just need a proper tune and fluid change.
Yeah, that, maybe put mild bolt-in cams as already mentioned and upgrade the tensioners to hydraulic system if money allows.

I think you are probably fine, the 2002 i s a great year for twin cams, last year of the stout forged crankshaft, you could probably go to gear drive without issues if your crankshaft run-out is in spec.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Inthespiral
Cruiser

Thanks for the ideas. Maybe that is where I'll start...Compression test and leak down test, and maybe a cam. I'll see if I can find a good shop around here and see what that might run. (If anyone knows a good indy in the Tampa area, I'm listening)

I received my manual yesterday, and was just thumbing through the pages, trying to familiarize myself. Landed on the spark plug color page. The plugs look damn near new on the outside, but the color on the end looked like what the manual says, something about worn rings or pistons or something or rather, can't remember...so I just got paranoid

Here's why I was gun shy about cams. I had some cams put in my old evo Fatboy. Shortly after, I moved halfway across the state (when I was living in SC). The bike kept breaking down on me (and obviously I couldn't take it back to the mechanic who installed the cams). Found a good local mechanic who finally found the problem. Something along the lines of the adjustable push rods weren't setup right (or something like that, don't remember). He fixed the issue, and I didn't have anymore problems out of it...after I already dumped a lot of money into chasing the issue. That's my cam story...

Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

I've had 5 engines "built" in the last 12 years and here's what I'd do with your parameters:
Upgrade cam chain; 06 style or gears
95" with moderate pistons (10:1)
matching cams (Your in there anyway...)
STOCK carb re-jetted to match engine with HD jets; I think a lot of people get "sold" on aftermarket carbs and carb parts
Stock pushrods

There's a huge amount of needless up$ell on modest improvements; but I know that's business

Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Notz
Cruiser

a few days (mostly weekends) and 900 bucks got me a 98" upgrade and a set of S&s 585 cams..... check out hammer performance for some of the things they offer im very happy with their work

Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts
Default engine upgrades

I am a believer in the Hydraulic S.E. upgrade. My reason is the oil pump that comes with the kit. I installed the S & S 510 cams when I did the tensioner up grade. I also stuck with stock carb that works great. I had a Makuni on my last bike and it sucked. New lifters, air filter/breather upgrade and pipes are also mandatory. Then finish things off with a dyno tune to dial things in and you will have a cheap and reliable ride. I have been through the hot rod builds and really feel they are for a younger guy with more money. If I really wanted to go that fast I would get a BMW.

Attached Thumbnails Engine Rebuild Ideas/Performance Upgrades?-0605131753-03.jpg  

Last edited by Two Lane Tramp; 06-25-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Inthespiral
Cruiser

Thanks for spending my money for me guys A lot of good ideas so far.

I think I'll start out with the cheapest way to just verify that everything is good. Once I finish building this thing, I'll see how bad my wallet hurts. This "budget build" is quickly turning into a money pit, but don't they all? (I don't have much in it to begin with, but my goal was to have next to nothing in it when I'm done with it too. ($2500 with powder and parts) Quick glance at ebay purchases and I'm at ~$2,150 for replacements and add-ons, and I haven't even gone to the powder coater yet) So much crap is so badly pitted and bubble rusted and what not, that I've decided to replace some things, instead of powder them (switch housings, levers, etc.) Just little things adding up (bearings, brake pads, this that n the other). Once I finish it up, and have a little seat time, I'll start asking around for prices on some of the things you guys have mentioned.