Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike, where to begin

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM
monofly
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bike, where to begin

So I am sure this will lead to wild and crazy suggestions, as well as probably being the millionth time this has been asked, so excuse and bear with me please.

As you can see in my sig, i am the proud owner of one new '13 street bob. Absolutely love the bike, but am already coming up with crazy ideas on how to make it my own... Looking for suggestions on where to start and some recommendations on parts...

My only complaint about the bike is how high the rear fender sits over the tire, so that will have to lowered!!! question is, how much... i just got off of a rigid frame, and do not want to completely kill the rear suspension...

Seat, well, the stock seat is nice, but a little wide for my liking...

bars, will eventually switch them out, but they are fine for now...

exhaust, well, needs swapped out

need some storage

would love a sissy bar, not for function, just for looks or to lash some crap to...

i think you can see where this is going... any suggestions, help, pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Stage 1, BAD&G bags, the Lapera bare bones looks good on Dynas, Burly Slammers (another brand offers an 11" version) and you could go with one of the HD tall sissy bars... Congrats and enjoy modding!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:21 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice ride. Where are you in Florida? I'm just up the road in Savannah.

Check out Southeast Custom Cycles for a lowered fedner without lowering the suspension. It's a bit steep and I've heard about some paint issues, but it's a great concept.

Look at Sick Saddles for a seat. Comfortable, well made, looks great and priced well.

+1 on the Bad&G Customs leather goods. Great guys, great quality. I ordered my Throw-Under bags with special stiching on a Wednesday and they were at my door the next Monday. Of course the Throw-Under bags and the battery bags don't hold much; you may want to look at their saddle bags or solo bags.

Don't know about sissy bars. Sorry.

Pipes, intakes and tuners are a personal thing and you'll get dozens of opinions. Do the research; but dont skimp on the tuner. Power Vision from Fuel Moto is the best option for tuners, but most of them will work. The PV is just so adaptable to future mods and can replace the dyno tune costs.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Easiest place to start would be removing reflectors. Next is exhaust of some sort. Spend time looking at bikes on here and in real life, and go from there. In fact, do that for anything and everything you are thinking about doing, and spend some time researching before any impulse buying.

In general, I would avoid buying a bunch of HD branded aftermarket parts. I got a one piece sissy bar and turn signal relocation kit from HD, and not really a big fan of either. The quick detach rattles a bit, and the turn signal relocation kit looks hokey by itself. But it's great to have what is basically a vertical luggage rack. There's a seller on Ebay that I hear sells good quality sissy bar that is non-detachable and doesn't require signal relocation. I would go that route if I were to do it again.

Have fun and enjoy and the ride.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:30 PM
monofly
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ! rock103 !
Stage 1, BAD&G bags, the Lapera bare bones looks good on Dynas, Burly Slammers (another brand offers an 11" version) and you could go with one of the HD tall sissy bars... Congrats and enjoy modding!
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is encompassed in the "stage 1"?

Old 06-25-2013, 03:33 PM
monofly
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SLV
Nice ride. Where are you in Florida? I'm just up the road in Savannah.

Check out Southeast Custom Cycles for a lowered fedner without lowering the suspension. It's a bit steep and I've heard about some paint issues, but it's a great concept.

Look at Sick Saddles for a seat. Comfortable, well made, looks great and priced well.

+1 on the Bad&G Customs leather goods. Great guys, great quality. I ordered my Throw-Under bags with special stiching on a Wednesday and they were at my door the next Monday. Of course the Throw-Under bags and the battery bags don't hold much; you may want to look at their saddle bags or solo bags.

Don't know about sissy bars. Sorry.

Pipes, intakes and tuners are a personal thing and you'll get dozens of opinions. Do the research; but dont skimp on the tuner. Power Vision from Fuel Moto is the best option for tuners, but most of them will work. The PV is just so adaptable to future mods and can replace the dyno tune costs.
Thank you very much! how comfy is that seat... i plan on making some long trips on this bike, so want a decent seat!

Old 06-25-2013, 03:33 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by monofly
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is encompassed in the "stage 1"?
Free flowing intake, pipes and fuel module/tuner.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM
monofly
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ! rock103 !
Free flowing intake, pipes and fuel module/tuner.
Thank you!!

Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by monofly
Thank you very much! how comfy is that seat... i plan on making some long trips on this bike, so want a decent seat!
It's much more comfortable than the stocker, but it isn't a touring seat. My longest days so far are 300 miles, but not even a thought about discomfort.

If you are talking LOOONG trips, like riding to Sturgis or other multi-day mile burners, you'll probably want a touring seat like some of the Mustang offerings. Good company, good product. IMHO, the touring seats look like a luggage rack on a Corvette, but comfort should come first on long trips.

Worst case, get a cushy touring seat for the road and a nice low profile Sick Saddle for everywhere else. It's a three minute change anyway.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Bretley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same bike and came off a hardtail as well. Here is what I did:
Progressive 430 11" shocks to lower it a bit and add black.
Remove reflectors and tank emblem.
Made a vertical license plate mount.
V&H 2-2 Big Radius black pipes
16" Black apes, mirrors, controls, rubber grips, and cables
Detachable sissy bar
black turn signals and tree uppers (vinyl)
removed lower belt guard
removed air filter backing and did a factory download
HD Brawler seat. It has some comfort and is much better than the two up stock seat.

Last edited by Bretley; 06-25-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: New bike, where to begin