Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Street Bob oil level receding

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Kmarc86
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Street Bob oil level receding

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm reaching out for a little assistance. I recently purchased my first bike, a '09 Street Bob. My concern is related to a dropping oil level. I check it when cold before each ride and I see that it is dropping gradually. As long as I don't ride, the level does not drop. I don't even see a hint of smoke when I ride, when throttling up, maintaining throttle position, or when letting off and decelerating. The bike is not leaking oil externally as my garage floor is clean.
The bike seems to be running fine. But losing oil is alarming. I did a few searches and don't see anything that resolves my issue. I'm looking for advice or just a good starting point and frame of reference for possible problems / starting point for trouble shooting. I don't ride far, just to work and back, so it is alarming how fast it dropping considering the distance I travel and type of rider I am. I don't have a warranty on it and I figure, if I own a Harley, I might as well be willing to learn some of the mechanic side of it also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 PM
99%r
Tourer

How much does it drop on the dipstick- to how many miles?

If you do not fill it, does it maintained a certain level?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Kmarc86
Novice

The most I've let it drop is two "X" down from full... I'm not sure how far I can let the level recede before it is dangerous. I lost two "X" before I had to refuel. I need to do a better job tracking the miles traveled to oil lost. I'll get some better data / info ASAP.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Try checking the oil when it's hot and see if you get the same reading.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer

I think you are overfilling it! When cold it should read on the half mark on the stick! Oil expands when hot! I change oil and dump in three qts. Thats where it stays till the next change! IMO... You are over maintaining your oil level!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

check the oil when its hot, get shop manual, don't overfill it.
Bring it over if your really worried about it and I'll check it out.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Kmarc86
Novice

I added a little once and when it started dropping again, I held off and started searching. I'm familiar with cars and some of thier quirks... I figured motorcycles have some tips and tricks to successful ownership... I have a shop manual on order. I'll also be getting a service manual ASAP. Rooti, thanks for offering to help out. I'll be patient with it and read on it in the shop manual when it comes in. Gotta admit, pretty stand up thing to do is to offer a newb some help. Thanks for all the info.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

most harleys don't like being filled to the top, tune a few XX down (when hot) or it will start puking out the air filter. Take off the air filter and you will see.

PM me if you need me to look at it...I have a dyna too

Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 AM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I would keep an eye on it. Like has been said already if its over full you'll start gettin oil in your air filter, coming from the breathers. If it drops below half you are losing oil somewhere.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Kmarc86
Novice

Tombo and Rooti... I popped the breather off and found traces of oil in the filter and breather / throttle body assembly... Now, I kind of expected this from what you guys told me. Do I need to be worried? What is my next step? Bike is still running fine. Is this cause for worry? I should be receiving my manual tomorrow or Tuesday. This is one of those things I wish I knew about when I bought the bike... But, when I bought it, the dealer had it topped off, so I assumed it was supposed to remain there. Lesson learned.

Quick Reply: 09 Street Bob oil level receding