Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantage of V&H Power Commander?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 AM
aquesada001
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantage of V&H Power Commander?

Hey,

So I have a 2010 Fat Bob with a Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner and a Vance & Hines Exhaust. I saw that V&H also makes power commanders, I was just wondering what difference I would feel and what advantages there are?

Also, what are the best brands to get?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 AM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aquesada001
Hey,

So I have a 2010 Fat Bob with a Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner and a Vance & Hines Exhaust. I saw that V&H also makes power commanders, I was just wondering what difference I would feel and what advantages there are?

Thanks
This all depends on what all you want. Do you plan on doing more mods like cams or heads? Are you looking for smoother running and advanced options?

Personally I refuse to use another piggy back system like a Fuel Pak or Power Commander. While they are you get what you pay for items they dont truly do much for the bike but trick your fuel map a little and add or remove fuel at certain areas of your power curve. They dont data log for you and dont really help the bike run better IMO.

The only true way to have your bike run well is with a full tuner like a Power Vision, Thundermax ECM, or SERT.

These tuners have access to all the tables in your ECM that are required to make a smooth reliable running bike. You will need to change your fuel, timing, warm up maps, and many others to make for a great running bike.

Again this is all based off what your future plans are for the bike.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey,

Thanks
Well, your deep enough into the Stage 1 mode that you should go ahead and complete it.

You should be considering "types" of tuners also. Real "programers" are a little more expensive. But well worth the investment.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

I am using a Power Vision and like it a lot . I does so much more and the bike runs sick as hell .

Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Brian W
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can spend the money just like the comments above, we have done good with Zippers ThunderMax Auto tune. Good support. The Zippers shop is only 20 minutes from us. Call me for the best price. Here's the low down on them:

Easiest Aftermarket System to Use

Engines Run Cooler & Accelerate Better in Any Ambient Condition

Best Fuel Mileage & Outstanding Performance

Highest Level of Customer Satisfaction

3 Year Warranty

ThunderMax® EFI with AutoTune System

Does Your EFI Bike Pop? Spit? Backfire? Start Hard? Run Hot? Deliver Poor Fuel Mileage and Performance? Would you like to have full control of your EFI system, freedom to make major or minor adjustments without a master’s degree in electronics and computers? Here is a simple solution—ThunderMax with AutoTune! The ThunderMax is a completely new product that replaces the factory module, not an add-on box or signal modifier. The ThunderMax is purpose-built to deliver uncompromising performance but you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to install it, program it or make adjustments.

Just how easy is it?

Installation is a straightforward replacement of the factory module and oxygen sensors*. The ThunderMax SmartLink software contains hundreds of base maps that cover over 80% of popular factory and aftermarket combinations, dyno-developed by Zipper’s on real motorcycles. Choosing a map is a quick and easy process thanks to SmartLink’s sorting filters; loading a map takes less than a minute. After that, you’re ready to start the motorcycle. Once running, let the bike warm up at idle to operating temperature while the Smartlink software automatically dials in idle and warm-up settings for that particular engine and you’re ready to ride! During your ride, every time you ride, the ThunderMax AutoTune module analyzes the air/fuel ratio read by the wide-band oxygen sensors at warp speed after every cylinder fire and makes any necessary adjustments to the injector pulse width to achieve the desired air/fuel ratio while compensating for variations in injectors, fuel pressure, throttle body or exhaust flow. With every tank of fuel, at any temperature or elevation, your engines’ tune is optimized by ThunderMax!

As simple as we’ve made it to install and use, don’t be fooled into thinking that this not one of the most sophisticated systems you can buy for your Harley®. Using the supplied SmartLink software and communication cable, you can adjust or monitor virtually every parameter of the system.

Features Include:

Adjustable Closed Loop AFR/RPM Targets

Adjust Idle speed

Adjustable Rev Limit

Igniting Timing

Automatic IAC Calibration

Speedometer Calibration

Decel Pop Control

Read Diagnostic Codes

Running Statistics / Logs

Accel Pump Simulation

Start Fuel Pulse

Engine Temp Alarm

Injector Size Compensation

Live Engine Tuning

Live Monitoring

Live Recording

Map Analysis Feature

Digital Tech Compatible

Nitrous*/ Boost Compatible (*excludes V-Rod® model #309-366)

Adjustable Warm-up Settings

One-Button Tech Support

Three Year Warranty

The ThunderMax makes sense in the long run as the system can grow and change as your engine does—just load a new map!

ThunderMax software, firmware and maps updates are free and accessible 24/7 with an Internet connection so you’re only a mouse-click away from the latest available data and product support. Dyno Tuners can access Advanced User SmartLink software that allows full custom mapping of virtually any engine combination. The ThunderMax is designed and manufactured right here in the USA and backed by a 3-year warranty!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM
aquesada001
Intermediate

Wow, that's a lot of information! I don't plan on doing anything else, I bought the bike with the intake/exhaust installed already and like it. It does start a little rough and I was just hoping to fix that.

I'm not looking to spend too much just for that, do you think the power commander will make it start better/run smoother? It's a lot cheaper than the other options

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of information! ------- do you think the power commander will make it start better/run smoother? It's a lot cheaper than the other options
Since you already have the intake/exhaust. Any tuner will be an improvement. Just pick one that you feel comfortable tinkering with. Most of them advertise good performance "right out of the box". But my luck usually doesn't run so good.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 AM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

want to go cheap, just put on a set of ieds lookup nightrider, they are the original and have different sets to fit different bikes

Old 06-28-2013, 08:59 AM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went for the PC-V for the same reasons. All I wanted was better performance (cooler running, no low speed surging, pinging, ect.). Wasn't interested in getting it race ready, or perfect. I know a "real" tuner would be much better, but I like the outcome of the PC-V just fine. It runs cooler, no surging, no pinging, and much better throttle response. I think it even sounds a little throatier, but that could be in my head. I have a 2011 FXDB, with 2-1, and intake. I had my own custom built IED's installed, but that wasn't enough. I do plan on doing a cam swap at some point, and probably the 30T pulley. But I think the PC-V will still suit me just fine. I can play with the fuel tables, and the ignition tables, for each cylinder. Also, I hated the fact that the flash programmers get locked to the bike. So if you ever trade, or get a different bike, you either have to pay more money to unlock it, or let it go. But that is just my two cents, so take it for what it's worth.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey,

Thanks
Sorry bro but V&H does not make power commanders Go with your budget, try and get something that doesn't have to ride along with you.

Quick Reply: Advantage of V&H Power Commander?