Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical Nightmare

So I installed a new detachable side plate kit on my 13 WG and with that the tails had to be relocated (moved outward). The kit they give you for this sux. There was no easy way to run the wires through the housing so the wires stick out the back and look like ***. I didnt cut any wires instead I pulled the connections from the AMP connectors and just pulled the wires free of the fender. After putting everything back together it all worked fine for the most part just had a loose connection on the left turn that was a very simple fix. I thought everything was great and was happy for a job well done but then today on the way to work it all went wrong.

As I am heading down the road at about 65mph my fuel light comes on then starts flashing and I get a low range on the cluster. The red warning light on the right comes on and I think **** I am leaking gas and immediately pull over to investigate. Shut the bike down and look it over really well to ensure there are no leaks of any kind and think wtf. I then look at my tails and both are now dead. Bulbs are fine but they have 0 power. Pull the seat and look at the connections and everything seems fine. I had re zip tied everything back where it was and ensured nothing was shorting or anything and looked good. Turn the bike back on and same thing. No rear lights and fuel gauge is dead. So I drive her home and get the cage and head to work. Now I am at a loss for wtf is going on. I am sure its related to the work I did but not sure how to fix it. So I am going to be calling the dealership to have them come get the bike and look at it as I dont want to make matters worse and I am terrible with wiring.

Anyway just frustrated and wanted to vent. 90 degrees all weekend and I am without my scoot. FML.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'd say give it another shot at the wiring. You have a short somewhere.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer

Originally Posted by FXDWG12
Well I'd say give it another shot at the wiring. You have a short somewhere.
Just worried I will screw it up even more lol. Mechanically I can hold my own for my bike but when it comes to electrical I am kind of a noob sadly.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:07 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master

Your only talking about the tail light harness'. Not much there to screw up. You could probably buy new ones for what your about to spend.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer

Your only talking about the tail light harness'. Not much there to screw up. You could probably buy new ones for what your about to spend.
True. I will have to take a look when I get home. I am worried that somehow the wires got compromised or something when moving them. Now I have wiring I can fully rewire the lights with as I know the housings are good. However I dont know if its the harness or the wiring thats got a short. The license plate light still works and thats in the same harness.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master

Originally Posted by socialoutcast
True. I will have to take a look when I get home. I am worried that somehow the wires got compromised or something when moving them. Now I have wiring I can fully rewire the lights with as I know the housings are good. However I dont know if its the harness or the wiring thats got a short. The license plate light still works and thats in the same harness.
Check obvious places first. Connections in the light sockets. Check where the wire exits the nipples under the finder ( sharp corners ). Make sure the wiring didn't fall out of the finder channels and get pulled by the tire.

Just be patient. You will work it out. Save money and gain confidence.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer

Check obvious places first. Connections in the light sockets. Check where the wire exits the nipples under the finder ( sharp corners ). Make sure the wiring didn't fall out of the finder channels and get pulled by the tire.

Just be patient. You will work it out. Save money and gain confidence.
Thanks for the info. I checked under the fender to see if that was the issue and they are still in place. I am wondering if when putting them on I pulled the a little too tight and pulled the connections off in the light housing. The wires themselves look just as good as when I removed them and wiggling the connections at the harness did not do anything for them. Good thing its Friday and I have plenty of beer at home.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master

There was no easy way to run the wires through the housing so the wires stick out the back and look like ***
This part is a little concerning. Everything should be concealed.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:40 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer

This part is a little concerning. Everything should be concealed.
I thought that as well but the holes in the mounting bolts are far to small to fit 1 let alone 3 wires in.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:03 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Im surprised nobody suggested checking the fuses. I dont know what is controlled by what but I find it hard to believe that messing with the rear lights had anything to do with the fuel sensor. I could be wrong through, what do I know.

Quick Reply: Electrical Nightmare