Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions (Mostly) about paint mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Quik_Draw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions (Mostly) about paint mods

So, I have a vision of what I would like to "Evolve" my FXDF to, give or take some things based on how the cards play out.

Performance wise, I am interested in a Screamin Eagle 103 kit and a cam kit, heavy breather upgrade, Samson pipes, and of course the tuning that has to go along with all of that.

I've also been looking at aftermarket wheels and really like a couple of models, 1 from HogPro and 1 from Titan Customs.

Now to the esthetics (...and prolly the hardest part aside from the bones ($$$) to do this...), seat, paint, "Balance" of both.

Being an ex Navy sailor and having a hsitory thing for the pirate days (not Johnny Depp, the real way things were.) I want to attempt to evolve my bike to this:

For the paint job, I am looking if there is a custom painter who can handle taking the currently painted parts and making them look like someone just dropped this over the whole bike:

Then, I want to have someone like Sick Saddles (I think from the looks of his site, he could do this.) sew something like one of these into the center of the seat:

It's called a Compass Rose, like they would put on the old world maps.

I also want to take various trim pieces (Not all) and have them either changed or replaced from chrome to a brass look, someting like the telescope and compass look here:

Lastly (Maybe), I know a machine shop owner who does work for my employer, he is willing to make all new engine, primary, timing, and tranny covers and the like, with etched / engraved images into them like would be on an old world map again, such as a cannon with a small stack of cannon *****, a sailing ship maybe (Old school one), an octopus or sea monster for another.

Problem is, he doesn't do any plating and I would like some of the things that won't be brass or left chrome and black as original, to get copper plated as another extra offset and addition to the whole theme.

I don't know what that costs or who is good at it, other than what I have been picking up here.

After all that is said and done, I want to remove the leather thing between my seat and console on the tank and either paint the typical skull and crossbones (If it's done well and not typical.) or crossed flintlock pistols that match the theme and pirate days.

Quite a bit of moolah and time, but, that's ultimately where I wanna go with it.

Open to suggestions, problems right out of the gate you see, etc...who you know that's good at any of this, so forth...

Be well be safe, I'll post images from before, during, and after along the way.

Quik

Old 06-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Crazy ideas man. Sounds like an episode of OCC.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:26 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Quick Draw.
A few things.
Awesome ideas. I especially like the brass concept. A forum guy posted his copper bike and it looked very cool.

The map paint will be tough. You might look into hydro dipping if it can be printed for a reasonable price.

You should make your way over to Savannah. We we could take a pirate tour of coastal SC.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Pirate tour?? I'll be in Ca this end of July.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Quik_Draw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually used to live in Statesboro for 4 years and did Savannah regularly. Also, last year, one of my buds and I headed out of Auburn, Alabama, across middle Georgia (Back roads) to Brunswick and up the coast to Myrtle to see if the (Then) on again off again Bike week was going down. Then we back-tracked the reverse of the whole thing to finish the trip. Very cool.

I can take it...I figured the paint was gonna be a tough thing.

Last edited by Quik_Draw; 06-28-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:38 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Subscribed: Looking forward to this. I've added a few touches of brass to my ride recently. DK Customs makes brass breather bolts that I'm considering.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

^ Get the breather bolts!
It might have been all in my head but, I felt like my throttle was extra peppy after I went that route. Better for your engine, and they look good.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

What kind of wheels are you looking to get from Chris at Titan? He is a very good customer of mine and I can usually get a better price than he can which is why he buys from me.

I love your paint idea and such. You just need to find the right painter and be ready to throw down some serious scratch. I am sure there are numerous people that could do the seat like that for you. I think regular paint will look much better than a dip as it is hand painted and unique.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Sixty-Sicks
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a local airbrush artist