Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Wide Tripper Seat Review

Old 06-28-2013, 10:15 PM
atvman29
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mustang Wide Tripper Seat Review

Replaced the stock 2013 SB seat which made my whole rear go numb after a half hour or so with a Mustang Wide Tripper with the diamond stitching tonight.

First impressions:

Looks nice, the vinyl is soft, the seat construction looks nice.

Second impressions:

This seat (along with the passenger pillion) barely fit. When I slid the front tongue in, the rear screw bracket was roughly 3/4 of an inch above the fender. I had to push down to allow the screw threads to reach the nut. The rear seat followed suit with the same issue and the same weird offset.

Riding Impressions:

I took the bike out for a half hour or so and I think the seat is a little more cushy in just the general butt area, but it is VERY soft at the rear. During acceleration and high speed riding, almost all the pressure is on my tail bone! Didn't have this issue with the stocker.

I purchased from Dennis Kirk, so I can return it and right now I'm thinking I might. I don't feel like its $350 more comfortable than the stocker... UGH

Anyone know of a place that makes replacement foams or inserts for stock seats?

Old 06-29-2013, 04:08 AM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser

Look around for a local auto upholsterer. Any of them should be able to modify your seat any way you want.

The following users liked this post:
Idahokid (06-14-2016)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 PM
atvman29
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bob'n'Stang
Look around for a local auto upholsterer. Any of them should be able to modify your seat any way you want.
hmm, that's a good idea. Wonder if they could bolster up the tailbone area on the Wide Tripper. It'd be a really good seat then.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser

I've had a few seats done they can add or take foam away. I'm going to get another one recovered pretty soon. It's cheaper than buying a whole new seat and it'll be just the way I want it not what someone else came up with.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 PM
atvman29
Intermediate

Sent the seat back. Just wasn't worth the dough!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You needed the Mustang Vintage Wide....much better support.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Desert,

From everything I've read, the vintage is the same as the regular Wide Tripper, which is what he bought. Mustang only makes one Wide Tripper. There is no vintage model that's different than the regular wide tripper.

Except for this one, I've read nothing but rave reviews of the saddle. So much so that I just ordered one today. It's to replace my super huge Switchback 3 million mile 8 inch thick saddle that is so large and goofy looking. I seldom ride 2 up.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
Desert,

From everything I've read, the vintage is the same as the regular Wide Tripper, which is what he bought. Mustang only makes one Wide Tripper. There is no vintage model that's different than the regular wide tripper.

Except for this one, I've read nothing but rave reviews of the saddle. So much so that I just ordered one today. It's to replace my super huge Switchback 3 million mile 8 inch thick saddle that is so large and goofy looking. I seldom ride 2 up.
2 different seats....
Wide Tripper
Wide Vintage Touring
Not sure which you ordered, but they are completely different seats. I have both.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by atvman29
Replaced the stock 2013 SB seat which made my whole rear go numb after a half hour or so with a Mustang Wide Tripper with the diamond stitching tonight.

First impressions:

Looks nice, the vinyl is soft, the seat construction looks nice.

Second impressions:

This seat (along with the passenger pillion) barely fit. When I slid the front tongue in, the rear screw bracket was roughly 3/4 of an inch above the fender. I had to push down to allow the screw threads to reach the nut. The rear seat followed suit with the same issue and the same weird offset.

Riding Impressions:

I took the bike out for a half hour or so and I think the seat is a little more cushy in just the general butt area, but it is VERY soft at the rear. During acceleration and high speed riding, almost all the pressure is on my tail bone! Didn't have this issue with the stocker.

I purchased from Dennis Kirk, so I can return it and right now I'm thinking I might. I don't feel like its $350 more comfortable than the stocker... UGH

Anyone know of a place that makes replacement foams or inserts for stock seats?
Older post, but I have this same issue. I have 3 Mustang seats...2 Wide Tripper seats(1 black and 1 brown recovered reach), & a Wide Vintage, and all are hard to get on the bike, as is the pillion for the Wide Tripper. You have to push down & pull back to get the seat hole to line up with the fender hole. Still then, the bumpers don't rest on the fender & it's in a bind all the time. The issue is the bottom sides of the seat hit the top of the shocks before the seat reaches the fender.
The construction of the 3 Mustang seats I own are not near up to the standards of my Corbin...not even close. Fit, materials and construction are much better with Corbin by a long shot. Still like my Mustang seats though, just like my Corbin way better.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ordered the Wide Tripper from Leathup.com

Well, I guess we will see if it fits right. Got my fingers crossed.

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang Wide Tripper Seat Review