Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,798 Likes on 757 Posts
Default Windshields

I know theirs a windshield / faring thread going on now, but I have after market bars and tree's. Pretty sure most windshields mount to the trees.

Been riding over 30 years, and never had one or rode a bike with one.

About 70% of my riding is just cruising up and down A1A or US1. Honestly my favorite riding speed is around 55 MPH, but I've been riding with a group and have been doing a good amount of expressway riding, and 75 to 80 MPH gets old after a few hours, or maybe I'm just getting old.

Anyhow I've been kicking around the idea of getting a QD windshield. I know the big police style would work best over any of them, but I'd like to get something that would fit the look of my bike and still serve a purpose, and not have a lot of buffeting issues. Plus I'd like to find one that didn't go to far below the top tree.

Ideas would be much appreciated.

This is my bike.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most if not all are going to attach between your bottom and top tree. Some attach to the tree and your pinch bolts. Just figure out what size your aftermarket trees put you at and look at all thats out there. Nearly every windshield is going to be able to be modified to fit wider or more narrow trees. I think it'll be fairly easy for you to find one that fits your bike. A QD clear shield would look fine on your ride, for those days when you need it.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Harley touring windshield on clamps, and on nice days mount the bottom clamps below the bottom tripletree then if I run into some nasty weather I just stop and move it up. I'm in clean air with it mounted down and have no buffeting. when I move it up it"s not as good, but in bad weather I don"t really care. that's the best thing about the clamps you can move the windshield up or down for some adjustment ,not perfect but it helps

Old 06-29-2013, 09:01 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Windvest. The one I have clamps on the bars but they do have mounts that go under the risers. Realy like it and think it looks good too.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Royce
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

You might look at one of the National Cycle Wind Screens. They're similar to the Windvest that Arkstreetbob has on his ride. I currently have a larger one on my FXDC, but if you look at the pictures in my profile, you can see how it mounts to the handlebars. They're inexpensive and the buffering is minimal to nonexistent.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Royce
You might look at one of the National Cycle Wind Screens. They're similar to the Windvest that Arkstreetbob has on his ride. I currently have a larger one on my FXDC, but if you look at the pictures in my profile, you can see how it mounts to the handlebars. They're inexpensive and the buffering is minimal to nonexistent.

That's something that would probably work.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2013, 11:15 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Kevin...just my opinion, which means nothing but putting a windshield on your bike, sure wouldn't help the looks. It'd be like adding one to mine. But I'd rather feel the wind, than put a windshield on it. Again, just my opinion.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:11 AM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Kevin...just my opinion, which means nothing but putting a windshield on your bike, sure wouldn't help the looks. It'd be like adding one to mine. But I'd rather feel the wind, than put a windshield on it. Again, just my opinion.
I know exactly what you mean. That's the reason I'd never had one before...don't like the looks of them unless its a bagger.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Newfoundlandsoftail
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I always said I would never put a windshield onto bike either, had it collecting dust for almost two years. Decided to try it one day this spring and I haven't taken it off yet

Old 06-30-2013, 06:51 AM
dmpjr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hated the look of a windshield too...but I haven't taken it off since I got it 8 months ago.

Quick Reply: Windshields