Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPB - install myself or let dealer do it

Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 PM
balingwire
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPB - install myself or let dealer do it

2006 FXD - My IPB is making noise at 15K miles, dealer said that it needs replacing. I've been expecting this, reading about it for the last 10K miles, so I apologize for the following questions, but I want to make the right decisions and need some help to do so.

The dealer has the H-D bearing and race and recommends them; I've read that a Baker or S&S is better. Although they will reluctantly install a Baker because they are also a Baker dealer, they believe that the H-D offering is better. Which do you recommend?

I have a good selection of tools for cars and trucks, and do most of the work on them. However, I don't have any motorcycle-specific tools or a bike lift. Should I swap the bearing or pay the dealer to do so? The three things that I worry about with me doing the swap is adjusting the rear wheel back so that the alignment is unchanged, removing the race from the shaft without damaging the shaft or anything else, and removing and installing the bearing without damaging the case. I have a factory manual, and I know that I can do it, but there is still that lack of confidence from not having worked on a bike before.

Finally, while it's opened up, should the stator-rotor bolts be checked/tacked? Like the IPB, I've heard of lots of problems with this, too. If tacked, will this cause any balance problems?

Again, I'm sorry for questions that have been covered before. I've read lots of threads on the subject, but I still have these questions, and I want to make the right decisions. I know that this could seem like a routine problem to some, but it's still a pretty big deal to me. Thank you.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Kevinsmidt
Cruiser

I did it in my garage with no special tools. I took a grinder to the inner race and CAREFULLY took it off. I've had zero issues with the Baker. Here is the link that I used to do it. Didn't even have a service manual. I would get those little bolts welded while you're in there as well. There is no need to do anything with the rear wheel.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-sprocket.html

Good luck.

Last edited by Kevinsmidt; 06-30-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:23 PM
balingwire
Advanced

Thank you!! This turned my whole day around - I think that I can do this now. What kind of grinder did you use to get the race off?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Kevinsmidt
Cruiser

I borrowed a buddies dremmel with a small cutting wheel. When it got close to being all the way through the race, I hit it with a chisel and a hammer and it came right off.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:34 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it yourself with the baker bearing, screamin eagle compensator and 07 stator, screamin eagle clutch spring, all for what the dealer would charge you for their junk bearing.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 AM
balingwire
Advanced

A buddy of mine is willing to tack the eight bolts in the rotor and wants to know what kind of metal/MIG or TIG - what did you all use to tack the bolts? Will the tacks cause balance issues that will cause problems later on?

I got the race off last night, about to put the Baker IPB in. Did you all use a press or hammer it out and in?

Also, is that antisieze on the outer primary case bolts?

Thank you.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:57 AM
balingwire
Advanced

...and what are all of the gaskets in the H-D gasket kit for the IPB repair? I know that one is not needed when using the Baker. Is the big o-ring for the starter? What is the big orange rubber round seal? Sorry for all of the questions. Maybe I'll be able to help somebody do this job after I get through it once.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by balingwire
A buddy of mine is willing to tack the eight bolts in the rotor and wants to know what kind of metal/MIG or TIG - what did you all use to tack the bolts? Will the tacks cause balance issues that will cause problems later on?

I got the race off last night, about to put the Baker IPB in. Did you all use a press or hammer it out and in?

Also, is that antisieze on the outer primary case bolts?

Thank you.
Thats LocTite /sealant on those bolts...I used a socket that fit the OD of the bearing and gently tapped in the bearing with a socket and hammer. It goes in easy. As far as welding the rotor bolts, I didnt go that route so I dunno. I lightly tapped in the seal with a hammer also, being careful to keep it straight.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 AM
balingwire
Advanced

So the gray is LocTite sealant on the small allen head bolts? I may try what you did with the Baker before trying to find a somewhere with a press. Thank you.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by balingwire
...and what are all of the gaskets in the H-D gasket kit for the IPB repair? I know that one is not needed when using the Baker. Is the big o-ring for the starter? What is the big orange rubber round seal? Sorry for all of the questions. Maybe I'll be able to help somebody do this job after I get through it once.
Pics would help, but a starter o-ring would probably be included - it is about 1 1/2 to 2" diameter. The orange rubber one should be for the derby - about 6-7" diameter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IPB - install myself or let dealer do it