Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Low rider upgrade from Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:57 PM
sbcvulcan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Low rider upgrade from Sporty?

Hi

Been on an 06 carb 1200 sportster for a few yrs. Just test rode an 07 Dyna Low rider. Felt like a bigger sportster. Wondering if the diff is significant enough to move up to that bike, what i might be gaining if anything at all in the big picture. Thinking for the weight difference the extra cc's don;t really matter but maybe more upper end power and more comfort?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2013, 06:09 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,299 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Two up riding is a big difference, weight and mass make a pleasure to drive on the highways. And you get to hear from the un-educated "nice sportster", and you get to explain it to them.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by sbcvulcan
Hi

Been on an 06 carb 1200 sportster for a few yrs. Just test rode an 07 Dyna Low rider. Felt like a bigger sportster. Wondering if the diff is significant enough to move up to that bike, what i might be gaining if anything at all in the big picture. Thinking for the weight difference the extra cc's don;t really matter but maybe more upper end power and more comfort?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
You SERIOUSLY could not tell much difference between a Dyna and a Sportster?

Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 PM
sbcvulcan
Cruiser

I did not take for a long ride and i thought before i get really into the possibility I'd ask some questions, ya know???? Thanks

Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member

I did not take for a long ride and i thought before i get really into the possibility I'd ask some questions, ya know???? Thanks
Sorry......didn't mean to offend you. The Dyna is a lot bigger/more comfortable/two up capable motorcycle. Throw some bags and a windshield on a Dyna and you can go cross country. The Dyna series is probably the BEST do it all lineup Harley makes. Heavier, roomier, GVWR is higher, longer wheelbase, better suspension. I truly don't understand people mistaking a Dyna for a Sportster. Completely different motorcycles.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:42 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Been there and done that. I'm in my 50s and I weigh bout 165 to give you perspective. The sportster was a harsher ride and I felt cramped in on it. The low rider is smoother, and I can stretch out a little. You sit deeper in the bike and your arms are perched up a little on the bars. It's torque-ier. The center of mass feels lower to the ground. I can't say it is faster, just a more planted, beefier feel to it.
The lowrider is OK 2 up, much more fun and lively one up. Was just at a dealer last week, salesperson looked at the bike and asked iF I was ready to trade in "that sportster" so you'll still get that now and then, if you care.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 PM
sbcvulcan
Cruiser

Don;t do any two up riding and i am a small (5'3 120 lb) female so I would guess i would get full advantage of power!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:54 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member

Don;t do any two up riding and i am a small (5'3 120 lb) female so I would guess i would get full advantage of power!
You're the perfect size for a Sportster! May I ask why you want to trade up? FYI, I have a friend who is 6' 260 lbs. and he rides a Sportster 1200 Custom. With the forward controls, he's perfectly comfortable, and rides it everywhere!

Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 PM
sbcvulcan
Cruiser

I do fit the sportster very well and like it but like all of us, can;t help but look at other models. I was curious about a possible upgrade to a bike with maybe a tad more power, that is generated a little less effortlessly, same mid controls and a bit more comfy long range riding. However i am not disliking what i got by any means but would like to explore this possibility.

Feedback pro and con upgarade, i appreciate, thanks

Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Power...Harley's have low end torque, but they are not blazing fast if that's what you are looking for?? Also, I have done a stage one and dyno- tune, which adds to performance (smooth delivery of power, no nasty popping, but not faster). It was a lot of extra fuss and expense as well. You might not want to lock yourself in to just HD.

Quick Reply: Dyna Low rider upgrade from Sporty?