Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something faster.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Dyna346
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something faster.

Hey all, I'm having a bit of an internal struggle. I love my wide glide, but something inside of me wants something faster. I am looking at the triumph speed triple right now, and am not sure if I want to pull the trigger on one. I can only afford one bike so having both is out of the question. Have any of you guys ever moved from a dyna to something a bit more sporty, or vice versa. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why don't you just upgrade the motor?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 PM
TGWN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a Honda 1300 ST. Fast, great handling, and can tour. More like a 2 wheel sport car. There are parts all over the web, dealers at every corner, and easy to work on. The speed triple is fast but you still can't out run a Motorola.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:37 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Thinking about it is half the battle. Just do it, if speed is what you really want. I'm sure someone would buy your bike PDQ.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 PM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello from Redcar England.
Given the chance I would have a garage full of bikes and the speed triple is on my wish list. Thing is that this is a different kind of riding. Solo, fast and twisty. You will need to ride by yourself and or with a new set of riders unless the lads are two bike owners which would be good. Good bike choice sweet ride. Could you make do with a hot superglide. Check out the star racing superglide it would leave the Triumph for dead in a straight line but the triple is a good real world street fighter.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Get the bike you want. Life is too short to be on the wrong bike if you can afford the one you want.

I bet you come back one day though, the big twin Harleys tend to become more family than other bikes. Some old Euro bikes can do this, but the modern ones don't, at least for me.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:12 PM
esteboatan
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I have also been looking at the Triumph range of bikes. Overall they seem to be of great quality and very reliable. I used to own a Triumph Sprint RS and it was a very fun ride. I do like the Thunderbird too and the two people I know who own them got rid of their Harleys to make room.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:15 PM
toku58
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming from a sports bike I understand the need for speed!

But since I'm getting older I feel I don't need the hospital bills anymore!

speed is great! But these bikes are fast enough for me. I can still do 100 on the freeway. (I won't beat a sporty stop light to stop light) but I'm o.k. with that! I'll beat any car! LOL!!

I do miss the high speed handling through turns. But other then that? This Dyna fits the bill!

Good luck with what ever you decide!

Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

All depends on how far you want to go. As they say "how fast can you afford"?
For the bolt in crowd just pull your current motor for either a 120R or a 124, Slap on a set of 2-1 race pipes like the Bassani RR, install a set of Buell XB9 inverted forks, larger dual front discs and some light forged wheels (leaning towards a 16" front tire). Install a True Track, steering damper and install some nice rear reservoir shocks like Ohlins or Progressive 970's. Strap on a set of sticky tires and your heading the right direction.
Bob

Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM
OneGearhead
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Like Toku I came from a sportbike background too. I only had a "lowly" FZ6 though. No superbike. There are a lot of nice sportbikes out there and Triumph's are one of the higher end ones. But since I've gotten my Fat Bob I don't see me ever going back to a sportbike. I LOVE the torque. I don't have to turn 10k rpms to go anywhere. This bike handles just as good as my FZ did. Doesn't have the overall speed through the corners, but it's not far off either. I'd put my bike up against some 600's from light to light. Once you get into 750cc+ its a whole different world. 100mph in 1st gear on the 1000cc inline fours. And I can vouch for that! It's ridiculous. But ultimately, get what you want. If you want speed, I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with one of the Triple's. I've never rode one but all reviews of them speak highly of them. Do you want a new bike? If not, you could try to find a used SV1000S. V-twin. Suzuki's are my favorite metric sportbike though. Or an RC51. I almost bought one of these before I made the decision to just buy the Harley and to get away from sportbikes altogether. I will say this though...riding the Harley is "easier" to me. It seems like less of a hassle to just get on and ride with no destination in mind. I had my sportbike almost 3 years. I've put more miles on my Harley in 3 weeks than I did the other bike in 3 years....

Quick Reply: Something faster.