Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting under the fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Getting under the fuel tank

I am getting ready to install a USB power source to my bars and want to run the wire under the tank to the battery. Can I just remove the rear bolt on the tank and lift it up a bit by pivoting the tank no the front bolt? I'm assuming I would not be able to raise it too much due to the hose connections which I would prefer not to have to remove. I just want to get enough room to run the wire along the frame under the tank.

Also, I assume it would be best to do this with as little fuel in the tank as possible to avoid any leaks from the filler cap or fuel gauge.

Doing it on a 2010 FXDC.

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed a 12 volt weatherproof outlet on the neck so that I could just simply plug a charger in. If you permanently install the charger itself, then you will have to replace it when it fails.

Yes, just remove the rear bolt on the tank. Use a block of wood to keep it proped up.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master

Originally Posted by tcatnat
This is what I'm installing.
That looks cool. But I wouldn't bother. Don't know about you, But I've had to replace several chargers. This method makest it a lot easier to replace. \/ \/ \/

Amazon.com: RoadPro RPPS-16ES 12-volt Auxiliary Power Port or Outlet: Automotive Amazon.com: RoadPro RPPS-16ES 12-volt Auxiliary Power Port or Outlet: Automotive

Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure about the charger, but if you are lifting the tank I would disconnect the fuel line. I foregot to disconnect mine and broke the fitting. $50 to replace the line. Stupid move on my part considering the fuel line is a quick disconnect.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 AM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

I just did something similar. I didn't wanna have to pop the tank up so instead I tapped into the accessories/aux 12v line that goes into the headlight.

Just pull your headlight plug out if the neck and you'll notice 3 wires on the headlight side and 4 wires on the bike side. The 4th wire is orange and not being used, get some taps and use that for your power.

Tap the black wire for your ground.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master

Originally Posted by bobnehoc
Not sure about the charger, but if you are lifting the tank I would disconnect the fuel line. I foregot to disconnect mine and broke the fitting. $50 to replace the line. Stupid move on my part considering the fuel line is a quick disconnect.

I just lifted mine about 2". Just enough to wedge in a pieceof 2by4. Worked fine for me.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:44 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Here's what I did when I installed a hard wire for my GPS:

I ran the wires (+ has a fuse) along the neck under the tank. To get them into the tank tunnel I used a piece of thin plastic coated metal wire and inserted it into the tank tunnel from the battery side. I bent an eye into it and pulled the GPS wiring towards the battery and connected the wire ends directly to the battery studs.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That same Kury usb port is available on amazon for $40 and free shipping.... I like that this port has the rubber plugs.

Kuryakyn 1688 Universal Charger USB Power Port : Amazon.com : Automotive Kuryakyn 1688 Universal Charger USB Power Port : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 PM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I mounted the PV I just wire tied it to the wires that were already under the tank and just kinda stuffed it up under there. I tried to get a pic but you can't really see it. I never lifted or moved the tank.

Another idea, you might be able to go under the console on top of the tank. I was going to try that but decided just to stuff it under there first just in case I didn't like it mounted on the bars.

Quick Reply: Getting under the fuel tank