Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPB and Stator/cup Issues 2006

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default IPB and Stator/cup Issues 2006

This thread is to keep this issue alive.
I am one of the MANY unhappy 2006 Dyna 6 speed owners.
What torques me off is this...
I bought by bike from a reputable Harley Dealer last summer. It had 5000 miles on it. I asked specifically if there were any issues or recalls on the 2006 model since its the 1st year for the 6 speed.
I was told no. No issue, no problem, no worries. Just go out and ride it!
Until I pushed the service manager and the head mechanic the story I got was there are no problems and that its an internet witch hunt.
Finally they came clean and I am looking at $1200 minimum worth of work in order to make my bike safe and reliable for long distance riding. Both of them told me that they would NEVER take an 06 Dyna 6 speed out on a long distance ride if the IPB and the compensator cup issues weren't addressed. They are both ticking time bombs. One will leave you stranded.. the other won't unless you let it go too long after it makes noise.

Harley should take care of EVERY SINGLE 2006 Dyna 6 speed. This means they should replace the inner primary housing with the 2007 model that has the 2 locating dowels. They should replace the rotor/compensator cup with the 2007 model that is welded together instead of screwed together. I can't believe they let hang out to dry every 2006 Dyna 6 speed owner. I just don't get it. These are MAJOR issues.
Apparently the dealerships know about it.. the only people that don't know about it are the poor saps that bought their bikes but don't frequent the internet so that they can learn about the serious problems that WILL happen. I was one of those saps. I didn't know there were any potential issues with my bike until after I purchased it. The dealership never told me. Since they obviously know about and they stressed to me when I purchased the bike that they do a complete 100 point inspection of the bike before they sell it and take care of any issues or maintenance required... why wouldn't they take care of the 2 most serious common documented issues? Why wouldn't the mother company stand behind the 2006 Dyna 6 speed instead of letting us all spend thousands of dollars to fix problems that were caused by poor factory designs? Where is the darn class action suit. They had one for the 2007 CVO 110 motor and that issue wasn't nearly as bad as what we are looking at on the 2006 Dyna 6 speeds!

My dealership told me by far.. the best time to address both issues is BEFORE they go bad because when the screws do let loose and tear up the stator I will be looking at up to $1000.00 more in repairs depending on how bad everything gets torn up inside.

I am thinking about starting a class action suit on this unless somebody has already started one that I am not aware of.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:50 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I traded in an '06 Wide Glide last year with 21k miles on it. I had heard a noise coming from the bike, which I suspected of being an inner primary bearing. When I stopped in the dealer I asked a tech to give a listen. I got the standard reply, normal noise. Well, I went into the dealer that I traded the bike to a few months later and there was the bike on the rack, torn apart, IPB's, and it was getting done under warranty to my surprise.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't have an 06 but do have an 02, I replaced the tensioners at 38kmfor 1000.00 , then this year a cheap caged inner cam bearing went and took out my engine, 5600.00 to rebuild. All well known and documented issues. There are some real concerns with Harley motors and the quality of parts, Folks thought the AMF days were bad, at least back then all you had to do is replace a few gaskets nothing like the mechanical issues we see today. Then there is the new wheel bearings not lasting, for sure a safety issue but don't remember ever seeing a recall on them , how does this happen, if it was a car these would be fixed pretty fast.

Just venting, as my bike has been at the dealer for 3.5 weeks and won't be ready for another 2 weeks

Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Do yourself a favor and stop dealing with the frustration of the dealer service departments that seem to ignore this problem. I too have an '06 Dyna and did all the needed repairs before any failure. Three things that you should do and they require very little expense. Have the rotor spot welded, about $20.00. Replace the inner primary bearing with a Baker Hi Torque bearing, about $40.00. Replace the auto chain tensioner with the unit from Hayden, about $120.00. This will keep your trans main bearing from wearing out regardless of the year on 6 speeds. If you pay for labor it should be no more than 3-4 hours and if you're in the least bit mechanically inclined its an easy morning job.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
Do yourself a favor and stop dealing with the frustration of the dealer service departments that seem to ignore this problem. I too have an '06 Dyna and did all the needed repairs before any failure. Three things that you should do and they require very little expense. Have the rotor spot welded, about $20.00. Replace the inner primary bearing with a Baker Hi Torque bearing, about $40.00. Replace the auto chain tensioner with the unit from Hayden, about $120.00. This will keep your trans main bearing from wearing out regardless of the year on 6 speeds. If you pay for labor it should be no more than 3-4 hours and if you're in the least bit mechanically inclined its an easy morning job.
That's exactly what I am going to do. I am going to swap out the inner primary with the 2007 model that has the 2 locating dowels though too because I want to go with a chrome one instead of the one that I have which is black.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,777 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
That's exactly what I am going to do. I am going to swap out the inner primary with the 2007 model that has the 2 locating dowels though too because I want to go with a chrome one instead of the one that I have which is black.
pretty sure you're gonna need to swap the trans case as well

Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

The IPB, compensator, and Main Shaft Bearings issues aren't '06 Dyna specific but common on most 6 speeds. There are a ton of posts about this in the touring section. Here is the thread I started:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...mpensator.html

And the thread I read that alerted me:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...our-ipb-7.html

Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 PM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by vistavette
The IPB, compensator, and Main Shaft Bearings issues aren't '06 Dyna specific but common on most 6 speeds. There are a ton of posts about this in the touring section. Here is the thread I started:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...mpensator.html

And the thread I read that alerted me:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...our-ipb-7.html
The only Harley that has a screwed on compensator cup is the 2006 Dyna 6 speed. The only Harley that has the 2 missing locating dowels in the inner primary is the 2006 Dyna 6 speed.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 PM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by mud
pretty sure you're gonna need to swap the trans case as well

Nope, not from all the things I read. I need to remove the primary cover and the inner primary case to get to everything.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 PM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
Nope, not from all the things I read. I need to remove the primary cover and the inner primary case to get to everything.
The two alignment pins line up off the trans case so yes you need to swap to a 07 and up trans case.

Quick Reply: IPB and Stator/cup Issues 2006