Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HID Installation

I just installed an HID headlight installation from HIDextra. The kit included 9004 High beams and 10000K HID Low beams along with their Stealth Ballasts for just under $80. The customer service was nothing short of fantastic. As usual with HID systems installed on Customized Motorcycles, we were in a bit of unchartered territory. As most of you know I have a Road Glide faring and lighting set up on my FXDF so the harness is not set up for anything that draws extra power. HIDextra's customer support was up to the task (remember dual headlights!). First it was believed that I had a defective Ballast since only one HID would come on and when the wires were swapped the other HID came on. They quickly shipped out a replacement no issues. Upon installation I could only operate one HID at a time and each time I either flashed the bright headlamps or turned them one then off the HID would swap from right to left but never both. Elaine at customer support quickly sent out a Relay harness with instructions on how to install it. Since the set up was intended for a car I had to lengthen one set of wires (no big deal).
Well now, not only do I have the LED driving lights so I can be seen (read this as difficult for Cagers to ignore!) but I can see at night about as good as I see during the daylight.
Total cost was just under $80. I am sure for the single headlight crowd it will be a lot less. HIDextra Rocks!
http://www.hidextra.com/9004-high-low-10000k-hid-kit/

Bob

Old 07-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I had to run a relay for the single HID on my Dyna. I have duals on my Road Glide hooked up to the stock harness and they are fine. Glad you got it sorted out.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 AM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you use the stealth ballast?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 AM
AwesomeIndeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be doing this soon to my FXDF as soon as I get a fairing on it. I always go with HIDs from Retro-Solutions, though. I have used them for all of my vehicles, cars, trucks, bikes, quads. Never had a single failure or anything go wrong.

How are the 10,000Ks? Seems like they would be pretty blue. I usually go 55w and 5,000K or 6,0000K max.

Post up some pictures!

Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AwesomeIndeed
. . . How are the 10,000Ks? Seems like they would be pretty blue. I usually go 55w and 5,000K or 6,0000K max. . . .
I'm with you. I have a single 35w 6000k HID lamp in my '04 Dyna bucket, & it's way too blue for me. Wish I'd gotten a 5000K. Most OEM auto installs include 4300K.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:41 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by XFXDX
Did you use the stealth ballast?
Yep, used the Stealth Ballasts due to their weight and size. Mounted to the stereo frame perfectly.
If I were doing a traditional FXDF install they are small and flat enough to mount under the fuel tank or tuck under the seat with a little modification to the wiring by lengthening the headlight wiring harness to accomodate the installation. The bulbs in the 10000K kit are the same size as the standard H4 bulb and fit easily into the stock housing. They light isn't really too blue for me and actually helps for my particular vision issues by increasing the contrast at night.

Please note guys: The electrical modifications I have done to my FXDF with the Road Glide Faring, stereo, and all the LED lighting make my install a nightmare for anyone to tackle. Short and simple, the Dyna wiring harness and electrical system was never designed to accomodate all I got going on between the extra gauges, rear lights, LED turn signals (combined with traditional bulbs), addtional brake and tail lights, 20W LED driving lights, and now the HID's. I am sure if the bike was an FL frame it would have been a simple plug and play deal. I am really happy that I upgraded my battery to the Shorai because the traditional battery simply crapped out under the load and that was before the additional lighting.
The rear harness was a misrible undertaking because there is simply no room to run anything in that fender set up and mating it to the FXDF main harness didn't make it any easier. This all has really tested my soberiety!

Bob

Old 07-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

They make extensions for teh power to the ballasts for HID's. that is what I used on my FXDXT and put the ballast under the seat. It is a slim ballast and fits fine.