Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

someone help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM
drew1879@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone help

can someone smarter than me explain something about electrical? i swapped bars and did no extending of wires and now i have nothing on left side of controls. i have no headlight, bright light, horn, left turn signals, no fuel gauge, and low fuel light always on. i have no wires pinched after internal wiring. wondering if molex plug can be bad? also on left side there are 2 black wires that plug into the molex and like a moron i didnt label them. so my question is can molex plug be bad or if those black wires that plug in are backwards could that cause it? im hoping the black wires are just flip flopped!!! any help is appreciated

Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by drew1879@gmail.com
can someone smarter than me explain something about electrical? i swapped bars and did no extending of wires and now i have nothing on left side of controls. i have no headlight, bright light, horn, left turn signals, no fuel gauge, and low fuel light always on. i have no wires pinched after internal wiring. wondering if molex plug can be bad? also on left side there are 2 black wires that plug into the molex and like a moron i didnt label them. so my question is can molex plug be bad or if those black wires that plug in are backwards could that cause it? im hoping the black wires are just flip flopped!!! any help is appreciated
What bike? Did you pull the main fuse before your started? If not, check there...

Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 PM
drew1879@gmail.com
Tourer

08 street bob and i didnt pull fuse before starting but have checked them all and theyre all fine.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

08 street bob and i didnt pull fuse before starting but have checked them all and theyre all fine.
If that is the case, you have a wire crossed in the molex...I would try those black ones first. I don't remember any identically colored wires in the plug though...

Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Make sure you didn't break a pin too...Is the Molex assembled correctly. My brother managed to get a plug to connect without pushing the plastic retainer in all the way. He obviously had nothing on that side either...

Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM
drew1879@gmail.com
Tourer

thats what im thinking. when i started there were black wires on bottom left 2 spots. ive been wondering if one of those is a ground and if i have them reversed. ordered a new plug so im just gonna extend the harness.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

It sounds to me like one of two things.
1. A pinched wire in the on the control housing, or,
2. One of the pins in a connector didn't seat properly.

I'd guess the pinched wire though considering everything on that side is out.

Loosen up the housing almost all the way and turn the switch on. If a pinch occurred, it could release with the loose housing. If not jiggle the wires inside the loose housing to see if you release a short.

Are these Z bars or other bars with a sharp corner? The corner can rub through insulation and cut wires or create a short.

Just a few thoughts.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 PM
drew1879@gmail.com
Tourer

a couple of the pins did break but i soldered some wire in to extend it. do the molnex plugs work like if 1 wire is messed up does that mess them all up?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

thats what im thinking. when i started there were black wires on bottom left 2 spots. ive been wondering if one of those is a ground and if i have them reversed. ordered a new plug so im just gonna extend the harness.
Don't do anything until you figure out what is wrong. All you are do is introducing MORE variables...Check your wiring, check the pins, and then recheck everything...If you need to extend it, do it AFTER you figure out what is wrong. Wish you were closer...I would fix it for a beer or two

Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

a couple of the pins did break but i soldered some wire in to extend it. do the molnex plugs work like if 1 wire is messed up does that mess them all up?
Can you take a picture? If you broke a pin, you need a new pin. You can't solder wire in any way I could think of to fix that...

Quick Reply: someone help