Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting a rear fender, need guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Fitting a rear fender, need guidance.

So my new fender came in today. It's a long fender and has zero holes in it, so I get to put them in!

I need some guidance on how to make sure my new fender is sitting in the right location, height wise, so both my seat mount and passenger pillon mount to it like the currently do on my stock fender. I would hate to get the fender lined up with the lines of the bags and have it sitting to high or to low where I can not mount the seat.

I am thinking the I would find a way to strap/secure the seat to the bike so it does not raise up when adjusting the roll, and height of the fender, using the seat as a guide.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you're on the right track. I'd take some measurements of where they're at, if you still have the stock fender on. If not, you can rest seat on the bike, and hold up your fender to where its going to sit, and see how it aligns, then make your marks.
Nothing a little tinkering can't solve.
Just remember, measure twice, cut once

Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

This is the fender I am fitting to the bike.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 AM
10ovr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that fender Glass or Steel ?? I have been looking for a Steel Tail Dragger that well fit my SB,,,

Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 10ovr
Is that fender Glass or Steel ?? I have been looking for a Steel Tail Dragger that well fit my SB,,,
Its glass, I searched and searched and searched for a steel fender that was like this and the only thing I could find was one made but Klockwerks, but I could not justify spending $500 on a fender that I would have to have welded up and then drill new holes for mounting. The hardest part is finding a fender at 8" wide, 8.25" max (need to leave a little room between the struts which measure 8.5" wide). This fender was only $109 (at 8.5" wide) and with the plate pocket, narrowing (to 8" wide) and the filler plates, it was a just under $300. They say it's strong enough to carry a passenger (both of mine are 105lbs or less each). Here is a link to the fender on their site. It took about 3-4 weeks to get it from order to the door. http://www.badassglass.us/fenders/le...erfenders.html

Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i been working o nfittig na fatboy fender on mine, for lining up the height i c-clamped both sides of the fender to the struts then rested the seat in place and adjusted till it all sat perfectly and drilled through the strut holes as guides while it was still clamped on.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:57 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you will pay for a good steel fender.
This is who I get fenders from.
Make sure your sitting down.
No one will beat their quality. Prep is easy on their fenders.
http://fatkatz.com/index.php/products/fenders/

Forgot, using the seat to set up the drilling is a good way to do it. I measure 3 direction on every thing I drill. This will keep it straight, and level.

Last edited by dirtdobber; 08-07-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:48 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
you will pay for a good steel fender.
This is who I get fenders from.
Make sure your sitting down.
No one will beat their quality. Prep is easy on their fenders.
http://fatkatz.com/index.php/products/fenders/

Forgot, using the seat to set up the drilling is a good way to do it. I measure 3 direction on every thing I drill. This will keep it straight, and level.
It's not so much paying good money for a blank, it's paying good money for a fender precut, but not to fit my mounts. Harder part is find a long fender at 8" width or almost any fender at that width. Guess that's the reason we don't see many dyna's with more than a stock style fender.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Well I got the fender fitted last night after some cutting for clearences (belt, caliper and saddlebag support cross brace). If anyone was to go this route, I would suggest getting a (glass) fender no more than a .25" narrower then the struts. I went with the stock width at 8" and the fender does stretch like the steel stock one, just not as easily. I ust need to do some fine tuning on the cuts for apperrence, then I can start fitting the filler plates. Here are some pics.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 AM
10ovr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look's good,,,

Quick Reply: Fitting a rear fender, need guidance.