Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air horn recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Air horn recommendations

The second "stock" type, cowbell-mounted horn just crapped out. The stock horn died after 3 years and
I replaced it with some generic, $30 after-market replacement which just died as well.

I need to get some recommendations for an easy-to-install, REALLY FREAKING LOUD air horn that
won't require a lot of rewiring. I'm willing to relocate but I don't want to wind up with something that looks
like it was done by the Beverly Hillbillies..

Suggestions? Ones to avoid like the plague?

(pics would be really great..)

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wolo makes a nice one

Old 08-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Rasconzo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pro Pad Mini Beast air horns. I have one on my SB, 128db... Its loud as F! Definitly wakes up distracted drivers, makes them think a Mac truck is right by them. Around $100ish dollars and easy to install.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 PM
heckfrozeover
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the Wolo Bad Boy, also sold as Stebel Nautilus and a few other names. They can be had as cheap as $31 and usually include the relay. They also come in chrome for a few dollars more.

After moving to Atlanta, I put them on all of my previous bikes that had quiet exhausts. Really got the attention of cage drivers when needed. Note: Do not test in a closed garage without hearing protection!

That said, I haven't needed it on the Harley with its Cobra pipes, even with "quiet" baffles.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Another vote for the Wolo. They aren't perfect, and I'd advise covering it up with something before pressure washing (mine sounded like a duck for about two days after I didn't do that), but they seem to wake people up a lot more than a stock horn. And they're cheap.

Regarding manufacturer claims about how loud a horn is:
Depends on how they measure. Without knowing that, it's pretty meaningless. I measured several with a decibel meter under identical conditions. Even though some of the air horns aren't much louder than the stock Delco horns on my Chevy, they have a different, and somewhat more attention-getting sound.

Also, I've managed to run mine for a while now without the complication of wiring in the relay, after reading that some others had done so successfully. Maybe it will fry the horn button eventually, but it hasn't so far.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-09-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:31 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I can personally testify that the wolo horns if tested inside a building, will make your ears ring for over an hour!!!! You can see the chrome ones HERE

You can also get it in black from this LINK

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Rasconzo
Pro Pad Mini Beast air horns. I have one on my SB, 128db... Its loud as F! Definitly wakes up distracted drivers, makes them think a Mac truck is right by them. Around $100ish dollars and easy to install.
Website for Pro Pad is around $200.00
Wolo kit around $70.00

Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rivco is selling one for about 150 dollars on ebay. Says it is loud and comes in chrome and black.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone!

I wound up ordering a Pro Pad Mini Beast chrome from Amazon who had it $20 cheaper than anywhere else
and with free shipping.

I was really tempted by the Wolo but a significant number of people "rating" it on various websites claimed
to have had some problems wiring it or that the wiring kit didn't really work that well. I don't know if that's
true or if they were all thumbs, but it was enough to tip the balance in favor of the Mini Beast.

Thanks again!

Old 08-10-2013, 12:01 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Website for Pro Pad is around $200.00
Wolo kit around $70.00
Don't know how Wolo mounts, but Pro Pad is a complete swap for the stock horn. Just unbolt the old one, disconnect the wires, reconnect to the Pro Pad, and bolt in place.

It's loud as hell and looks good (IMO).

Quick Reply: Air horn recommendations