Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more popping on decel!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:27 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default No more popping on decel!

Ok, so I can only blame myself but Im taking full responsibility and putting it out there so maybe someone else could learn from my mistake.

I am a modder. I mod everything. Nothing can ever be left stock for long if at all. I had my exhaust waiting in the garage before the bike even got there.

The moment I got the bike home I started taking it apart. The problem was I didnt realize the task at hand required more than one person. And by that task I mean a 2-1 exhaust. Removing the stock exhaust was simple. Installing the new one, by myself, was brutal. It literally took me about 3.5 hours to put the new exhaust on. And, as it turns out, it didnt go on correctly.

I had known that the exhaust to the rear cylinder never fit flush. The c-clip had popped out and was pushing against the flange creating a slight gap. I just dealt with it as it seemed to be staying on and I was too lazy to fix it. I got severe decel pop, popping between shifts and a slightly off-key exhaust note.

Fast forward to this past Thursday where I got off my ***, went to the dealer, and picked up a new c-clip. I had a friend over who was able to help me position the exhaust easier this time. Still with his help it was a bitch to line the pipes up easily but I finally got it set. When I did have the exhaust off I could see the outside of the cylindar had become scorched with black soot which had escaped around the gap. I suppose this is also why my inner thigh was being fried all the time.

Today was the first time riding the bike since I redid the exhaust. Immediately upon startup I noticed the sound of the exhaust was smoother and deeper. Along the ride I was noticing how smooth the ride was, more free of vibration than previous. I never got one pop in the exhaust the whole 20 minute ride on back roads to work(lots of gear shifting too).

So, anyone who is getting decel pop(and they are using some sort of tune or xied) make sure that your pipes are fitting correctly in the cylinder. That could be the culprit.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:37 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like it was a struggle but the good part is that you got it done yourself. It doesn't take much of an leak to really mess things up.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:42 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like it was a struggle but the good part is that you got it done yourself. It doesn't take much of an leak to really mess things up.
Yeah, I knew it was my fault thats why I never wrote any complaint threads. But yeah now my bike is perfect(er)...

Old 08-10-2013, 12:46 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I have decel pop AND accel pop. When I take my bike in for my 10k service next Saturday, I'm going to ask them about it. It's a little irritating but I've gotten used to it.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:22 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Sounds like my kind of luck. I have some decel pop but I kinda like it. I have already checked my exhaust flanges and they are tight. I've been told, depending on the exhaust you have, a little decel pop is normal.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:05 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

your lucky you did not break the header.
When the pipe is not flush into the head port good and tight, it will move by the vibrations.
The Dyna bikes has a poor way of securing the muffler body.
Glad you found it.