Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip on my Street Bob... Man my a$$ hurts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Rasconzo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip on my Street Bob... Man my a$$ hurts.

Up until now I have mainly just used my Street Bob for cruising around town maybe 50 miles at a time. Started to go on longer rides with my local HOGS chapter, they are older folks but we have been on some great rides. Here is my issue...

After a long ride. I ache. Hoping for some advice to make my setup more comfortable for longer trips. Here is my stats and current set up.
6'2" 230 lbs. 2012 FXDB, forward controls, stock seat, 16" roland sands apes and Kurykan (spelling?) ISO grips with throttle boss.

Obvious main issue is needing a new seat. With my long legs I prefer to be further back andretty much dont have a butt, so my lower back tends to hurt. I have tried one from the local shop, they do a demo seat thing where you can ride one for a week, but I wasn't all that crazy about it. Put me too far forward in the saddle. I am anxious about ordering a seat online without actually feeling/seeing it in person first.

And I know when I made the choice to go with ape hangers I made the sacrifice of comfort, but I really like the look and not going to change them.

Just looking for some honest advice of what works for other folks out there.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Im not as tall as you (5.10) but I just recently put on a Roland Sands Enzo 2up seat. It sits a bit lower, narrower and definitely a bit further back. It's quite comfortable and one of the things I liked about it is the cutout through the middle of the seat which relieves pressure on my tailbone.

Because it does sit further back, I now have a different reach to the forwards and a new black and blue mark on my right knee from the A/C.

I would recommend getting anything from Revzilla as they have free shipping both ways in case you decide you dont like it.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 784 Posts
Default Mean City Cycles

Call Mean City Cycles at 1 866 550 7328 or check their website at www.meancitycycles.com. They will take your height, weight, inseam and listen to your complaints. Based upon that they will make suggestions. Then they will re-make your stock seat using memory foam and/ or gel. They also will cut a tail bone channel to relieve the pressure from that sensitive area. I am shipping my FXDC seat tomorrow for the above mods plus they are making the passenger pillion wider for comfort. VERY REASONABLE $price$ I might add.
Worth a look. Good luck!!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to man up and deal with it. J/K. Seriously though, part of it just may be you're not used to long runs and it may take a few. Do you move around in the seat/change positions? When I ride long I'll move all over the place, feet go on the p-pegs sometimes. It keeps the blood flowing to spots that wouldn't otherwise. I agree your seat probably sucks for long hauls. There are companies that will rework the foam/add gel to your stocker to suit your taste, and are cheaper than some of the aftermarket ones. Good luck with it, ride safe.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Sundowner 2 up seat. I can easily ride from fuel stop to fuel stop. Just finished a 2700 mile trip with no problems.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:53 PM
qws
5th Gear

In the beginning any ride that was up to an hour for me would bother me. Once I made a few runs it got better and now I'm used to the long rides

Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Alleyn
Tourer

If you have the time to wait, Sicksaddles can make you a gel or memory foam padded seat to your order. I had mine built with an extra half inch of padding, and bolstered a bit, to push me forward.

It's worth talking to Ed, to see if he can help you...

www.sicksaddles.com

Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Eagle Custom
Tourer

I will second the Sicksaddles.com seat I had Ed make me one with leather and memory foam for my FXDC and just returned from Sturgis 850 mile each way and about 700 miles while there and the seat was great it did take a few miles when I first got the seat to get it broke in but now its great.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:17 PM
jmale1972
Road Master

Originally Posted by Alleyn
If you have the time to wait, Sicksaddles can make you a gel or memory foam padded seat to your order. I had mine built with an extra half inch of padding, and bolstered a bit, to push me forward.

It's worth talking to Ed, to see if he can help you...

www.sicksaddles.com
+1.....I have one thats leather with memory foam, top quality and comfy.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Eagle_1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word, Mustang.
Most comfortable seat I have rode on.

Quick Reply: Road trip on my Street Bob... Man my a$$ hurts.