Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I THINK I MIGHT need a NEW tire...you be the judge!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I THINK I MIGHT need a NEW tire...you be the judge!

'Tis but a scratch right? It still has another 5,000 miles left on her right?

All joking aside, I need to find a good whitewall...suggestions? I was thinking Avon Venom but the Continentals are cheaper (are they any good?)

I'm a daily rider, and it's rainy season down here in Honduras, what tires suit me best? (roads are twisty, but I don't ride it "like I stole it" because...well, I didn't steal it, and after my wreck I take it extra-easy on city riding.)

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Joeozark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, baby needs a new shoe! Haven't bought a motorcycle tire in years but always liked Avon.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, there's no doubt you need to get that off of there ASAP! I don't know about whitewalls and what type of selections are out there. Are the roads there all asphalt? Sorry for my ignorance, but if you are riding gravel roads as well, I would think that would affect the tire choice drastically.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Nothing to be sorry about friend!

Roads around the city are all asphalt yes. My daily commute has no gravel on it, but you gotta watch out for potholes and open manholes (people steal the covers from time to time)

Outside the capital (Tegucigalpa) going north, the roads are brand spankin' new, and more curves than Sofia Vergara (if you have to google that, I won't blame ya) Some parts are still under construction though, meaning they're gravel/dirt until they get paved over.

One of my friends swears by the Avons, and will not have it any other way. He says they're ideal for the twisties because of how "sticky" they are.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:30 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, Now that I know more about your roads (and Sofia Vergara) ;-) (Yes, I googled her and have seen her on Modern Family). I would suggest either Avon or Metzeler. I wouldn't hesitate with either. Both will provide the tacky grip needed for the twisties. Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Thanks! What sucks is that I have to wait at least 3 weeks for a Metzeler/Avon to come from the States. All my local options are:

1. Used - only in case of emergency do I buy used, it's a very bad idea. $35-40
2. Pirelli - usually available, $85
3. OEM Dunlops - available at dealer, but not sure if they'll sell to imported H-D's...

So my tire need replacement ASAP, I might go local this time. I'm a daily rider, I shouldn't use this tire anymore, which means I can't wait 3 weeks for the ideal tire to arrive...so sad.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

If the Pirelli is a Night Dragon, go with that. If I can avoid it, i won't put another Dunlop on my bike. Don't know if Pirelli makes a white wall, though.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:56 AM
moog5050
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little superglue and you will be good as new. Please list me on the life insurance policy.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Black Bart
Road Master

I just put a set of Pirelli's on my car and love the way they feel and handle. Don't know what their bike tires are like, but if they ar eamything like their car tires they should be excellent.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

windex will clean that right up

Quick Reply: I THINK I MIGHT need a NEW tire...you be the judge!