Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaky and feeling down

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:06 AM
supermanotorious
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky and feeling down

as stoked as I am to have the Dyna- my first HD ever, I am exhausted by frustration of what appears to be 2 leaks from the bottom of the bike

the first is from the primary cover for which the seller said was simply a stripped out drain plug, I called HD of Scottsdale to ask about tapping the hole and was told try a new plug to which I did, I drained all the old fluid and it was rather dirty, there were more metal bits on the magnet of the old plug I would have been happy to have not seen, I wiped the whole area underneath, I then installed the new plug and filled her back up with fluid, went for a ride and noticed new drips but they seem to be coming from the primary cover lowest bolt, I pray that is as simple as a new gasket but I fear the cover has been torqued and I'll have to buy a new one

the second was a smaller drip from further towards the middle of the bottom of the bike, I think it is oil but I cant be sure, God only knows how much it will cost to fix that one

it just sucks shelling out $$ for a "new" bike only to have to spend more on this kind of crap

Attached Thumbnails leaky and feeling down-020.jpg  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:27 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

You should be fine with a new gasket, be sure and follow the proper torque sequence. Is the new drain plug working? You will have to be more specific about the location of the second drip. Are you sure its not from the lower derby cover?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:26 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It could also be coming from the inner primary bearing seal. You will have to wipe the bottom of the primary case , then reach up inline with your drive sprocket and check for oil up there. P i T A but it is still a cheap fix.
P.S. I had the primary cover off four times and re-used the same metal gasket without issue.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like you have the older drain plug style, like mine. It is tapered and you put pipe joint compound on it to seal.

I have heard a newer one with O-ring will thread right in, any truth to this does anybody know? I get tired of messing with the tapered one.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I totally understand your frustration, but don't let it get you down. It's just a small issue that can easily be resolved. As mentioned earlier, wipe everything down and try to isolate the location of the leak. Gaskets are cheap and it's only a little bit of time on your part. As for the small metal bits on the drain plug. IF the original owner did strip the drain plug hole, I would guess that the bits are from the threads being damaged. Also, is that a scrape on the primary? or is that just oil? Good luck!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
I totally understand your frustration, but don't let it get you down. It's just a small issue that can easily be resolved. As mentioned earlier, wipe everything down and try to isolate the location of the leak. Gaskets are cheap and it's only a little bit of time on your part. As for the small metal bits on the drain plug. IF the original owner did strip the drain plug hole, I would guess that the bits are from the threads being damaged. Also, is that a scrape on the primary? or is that just oil? Good luck!
the primary case is all aluminum so if the threads strip they won't magnetize but the drain plug is steel so aluminum will not strip the plug itself. There is however alot of little steel bits coming off the clutch basket , chain & sprockets so agreed, nothing to really worry about there.

Last edited by maddghost; 08-13-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 AM
supermanotorious
Tourer

thanks for the replies, I wiped everything clean last night then looked again this morning, it was easier to see the drips since the bike hadn't been moved and didn't have wind pushing the drips towards the rear of the bike

that is a scrape on the primary from where the previous owner laid it down, I am 100% certain it is not leaking from the lower derby cover

the new drain plug appears to be dry this morning and the leak seams more obvious to be coming from the main gasket, makes me wonder if the previous owner knew that or not but thats water under the bridge, I just want it fixed

here is a pic of the second leak, the color appears the same as the primary fluid and not oil, it also looks clean as though it leaked from my recent change out

BUT if you look to the bolt on the right, that looks like an oil leak

the arrow points to what I think could be oil, the circle is where I think it a 2nd primary leak

Attached Thumbnails leaky and feeling down-002.jpg   leaky and feeling down-003.jpg  

Last edited by supermanotorious; 08-13-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:48 AM
McMurphy
Cruiser

Same deal when I bought my bike....asked the owner about leaks...he said not that I know of.
Well sure enough when I got home....saw a drip.

So..its rolling the dice sometimes....and you not only purchase the bike...but the leaks also....very common.

Check the oil in the primary....smell it...see if its... reg oil..tranny fluid...or gear oil.

Smell you transmission lube....should be a nasty smell compared to the reg oil.

Then you can smell your drip.

I have a similar leak....thought it was the primary...until I smelled it...it turned out to be gear oil.....not from the outer primary.....bad inner seal.

Its a bummer....but throw down some cardboard...wipe it once in a while...make sure its not pouring out and you should be good until your ready to work on it.

Im might do mine this winter....its not hurting anything right now.

Murph

Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the transmission fluid level to see if it is low.
Depends on what they used in the transmission will make the difference in the odor.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:52 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So you bought a 14 year old bike for a lot cheeper then a new one. You have a few minor issues and are already getting bummed out? You'll get it figured out and dialed in, no worries. That is part of the adventure of getting to know your new/old bike. Every time you fix something you get to know it a little more.

Enjoy the ride...don't sweat the small stuff.
(It's all small stuff)

More riding, less whining.

Quick Reply: leaky and feeling down