Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause this in the steering?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What would cause this in the steering?

What would cause this in the steering and is there a way to adjust it? (The bars point slightly to the right while moving straight.) A little history... I bought this Low Rider brand new in 2009. It's never been in an accident and the front tire is stock, never been off. I did just change my stock bars out for these Z bars. I never noticed it before but it could've been like that all along and maybe I just never noticed because my other bars were curved. This is the view I see when driving straight down the road. (See the alignment of the center of the handlebar with the forks.)

Attached Thumbnails What would cause this in the steering?-riderview.jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:33 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

riser bushings man. If they are not old and you want to keep them, loosen the bolts from under the the top tripple tree just enough to be able to twist them to where they look perfect then tighten them up again. If you still have the originals change them for nylon riser bushings you will be happy you did, use the same procedure to get them where you want them.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Originally Posted by maddghost
riser bushings man. If they are not old and you want to keep them, loosen the bolts from under the the top tripple tree just enough to be able to twist them to where they look perfect then tighten them up again. If you still have the originals change them for nylon riser bushings you will be happy you did, use the same procedure to get them where you want them.
Awesome... sounds like an easy fix. And since I need to get under there, maybe I'll get the nylon. Thanks bro!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:48 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Happy to help, you will want to use your old riser washers reversed, a longer bolt, and some silicone spray to press those suckers in. the long bolt doesn't have to be a perfect fit, just have enough threads to clear the bushings into the housings! Then put that bolt away it's done it's work. The first time I tried to put my bushings in by hand I failed miserably - DUH. And do not try to hammer them in!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Originally Posted by maddghost
Happy to help, you will want to use your old riser washers reversed, a longer bolt, and some silicone spray to press those suckers in. the long bolt doesn't have to be a perfect fit, just have enough threads to clear the bushings into the housings! Then put that bolt away it's done it's work. The first time I tried to put my bushings in by hand I failed miserably - DUH. And do not try to hammer them in!
Got it! Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up a set of the poly bushings from Dennis Kirk. $10 and supper easy to install and it definitely makes a difference over the stocker ones.....

Old 08-14-2013, 12:39 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

I swapped out to poly bushings and regret it. My grips vibrate worse than ever. I am going back to the stock ones.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 PM
atco
Advanced

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
I swapped out to poly bushings and regret it. My grips vibrate worse than ever. I am going back to the stock ones.
Just the opposite here. Less vibes + better handling.

Easy test: gear on neutral, motor running. Which vibrate worse, your hand on triple tree or on your bars? If you like hand on triple tree better, go with poly.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 PM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree with rubberfrog, polys gave me too much vibration, but the stocks were sloppy. Ended up using a hybred. poly on bottom half, rubber on top -- seems to be the best of both worlds for me -- bars are stiffer and dont move as much, and vibrations are tolerable. [IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-14-2013, 02:25 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE polys gave me too much vibration, but the stocks were sloppy. Ended up using a hybred. poly on bottom half, rubber on top -- seems to be the best of both worlds for me -- bars are stiffer and dont move as much, and vibrations are tolerable]
[/QUOTE]

Got a link to where u got those?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would cause this in the steering?