Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm just a regular guy...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:47 PM
davidnewtonparr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm just a regular guy...

Who just put a bunch of parts in his bike. I never would have had the confidence to do the work, if it wasn't for the consistent helpful advice and warnings from those of you on the forum.

Anyway, I put in a fueling Cam Plate and Oil Pump, TW555 cams, new cam bearings, lifters, and adjustable pushrods.

I did it alone in my driveway. I have minimal experience with motors. It took about 10 hours.

Everything went perfectly well, then I put in the adjustable pushrods, and realized I forgot to slip the bottom gasket around the pushrod tubes. So they came out the same way they went in. Then, back in the right way.

I put on a new cam cover, RS nostalgia black, and put the exhaust back on and started her right up. I took it for a ride around the block, and didn't get on it, but could immediately tell that things were very different. Anyway, when I got home from around the block I check all my bolts, etc and found an oil leak in the cam cover, so off with the exhaust and removed the cam cover and checked the gasket, and back together. Only this time, I was torqeing the number 3 bolt on the cover, when the ball on my only long 3/16 allen socket snapped off... right around 80 lb? Anyway, I had to use my sears extractor to get the bolt out, and then put it back together. It literally would have taken half as much time, if I had slowed down and taken a little more time.

Started it right up. Took it for a ride this afternoon, can't believe it. Now, I need to figure out how to get these used brembo brakes on the bike, so I can stop it.

Then on to the heads and throttle body...

Thanks for all of your help.

Peace

Old 08-14-2013, 11:48 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Good for you! Props for having a "Can Do" attitude and getting after it. Now all we need are pictures...

Old 08-15-2013, 12:08 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
Good for you! Props for having a "Can Do" attitude and getting after it. Now all we need are pictures...

YES! PICTURESSSSSSS!

...and just let me say WOW. It's awesome that you did it yourself! When I save enough dough, I wanna do that kind of engine work too! Nicely done!

Last edited by FXD_noob; 08-15-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Vandal5475
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kuddos. I usually can't figure out what side of the pliers to use. Good job.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have plans of cams and a big bore kit for this winter. I have no formal training but really enjoy taking things apart, upgrading, then putting it all back together. It's just fun to do it, then fire it up and watch it all work right....stand back w a smile and feel proud that you did that urself. Not to mention the knowledge you gain about ur scoot that allows you to troubleshoot possible issues later. Congrats on the cams, I have 555's targeted for my build as well. How would u compare the low to mid torque compared to stock? Big improvement?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you feel just as you hit the starter? I know I was like, did I get this right. What did I forget. This mother better work! Good for you and what's next?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

thats awesome! we offer porting and polishing and coating services for your throttle body. We actually stock one for an exchange program.