Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baker inner primary bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:48 AM
shepherd50
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baker inner primary bearing.

I have just ordered a baker ipb. P/n 189-56. For my 06 wide glide. Would like any info before it arrives. I remember reading some time ago about someone removing the seals for better lubrication I know a seal comes with the kit. Was that what they were talking about. ? I thought it was a sealed unit Or can you take off the sides? Also had read about someone mending the bearing to the shaft because of leaking Is any of this needed? Does it matter which side id pressed in ? Not sure what instructions are like. Any helpful info please. I know this has already been posted but there are too many posts on the subject , and I dont have time to go through all of them.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the All ***** double-row raceless IPB, but the idea is the same.

Mark at Baker once posted that he removed the inner side shield on the Baker bearing to maximize lube to the rollers on his ride. I removed both side shields on the All ***** unit to further maximize primary lube throughput. They have lifetime lube sealed in as received cause the bearing is designed for dry primaries, so you probably don't have to remove the shields. The side shields are composite & easy to remove. Just take a sharp Xacto knife & get under an edge, & pop it right off.

The side shields on the bearing are different from the supplied IPB oil seal supplied with the Baker. You MUST use the oil seal that comes with the High Torque and not the OEM HD seal, because the oil seal that comes with the Baker one-piece bearing seals on the tranny main shaft, under where the race sat. The OEM seal seals on the IBP race, which is gone.

Don't know what you mean about mending bearing to shaft due to leaking? Bearing should be a close slip fit on the shaft, no wobble on the shaft. Might slip it on/off the main shaft to check, before you press/seal it into the primary inner case.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,788 Posts

I had though about using one of these someday. Signed on to get the spill. Do know little about bearings and transmissions using shielded bearings. Just a though but there is a difference in a sealed bearing and a shielded bearing. Usually if the seal is rubber, it is sealed to keep grease in and anything out. I know I have been in a few transmissions in Toyota's that have a metal shield that at first look appears to be sealed and there is grease in it. However, it's mainly a shield for metal chips and the transmission lube can get in it. I inspected a few bearing by carefully removing the shield, and there was still a little grease in there but after a 100K but it was obvious the oil was what was doing the main lubrication and the bearing was still in good shape. As far as the primary lubrication seal, I had not thought about the seal change and it now riding directly on the transmission main shaft. Shep, you need to be careful how you remove that old inner race on it and not damage the main shaft. Also,one of my concerns is now the only thing driving the inner race is the load on it since it is not tight on the main shaft. If that bearing ever goes bad, that inner race is going to spin on the main shaft. I would guess that would be rare.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-15-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

From reading tons of threads on inner primary bearing issues, it looks like the Baker isn't a sure fix. Some people had them work OK, and some had them fail.

So far, it looks like the S&S inner race, used with the Harley bearing might be the best thing going. Haven't read of any failures. The sample size is really small though.
http://www.sscycle.com/product/Twin-...ce-p20601.html

Edit: It's not clear whether it will fit a 2006 Dyna. Some retailer sites say it will, and some say it won't.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-15-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i run the baker and have on prob 18 bikes without a problem at all *(my bike is an 06)

Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 PM
shepherd50
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitment

I had emailed Baker that I had seen conflicting pages saying if it would fit or not.
I recieved a reply from Scott saying this bearing kit would fit my 06 WG. He also said that HD changed the mainshaft size MID 07 model year My main concern is if I should remove the shields for lubrication, or will it be ok per instructions.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would put it on the way it is intended.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by shepherd50
I had emailed Baker that I had seen conflicting pages saying if it would fit or not.
I recieved a reply from Scott saying this bearing kit would fit my 06 WG. He also said that HD changed the mainshaft size MID 07 model year My main concern is if I should remove the shields for lubrication, or will it be ok per instructions.
Have you asked Baker about that?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Baker will probably chime in as he is a forum sponsor and all. I have always left the shield in but I might try removing the inner one next time.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:09 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Leave it in or take it out the question of the century.I personally took my inner shield out but the Baker recommendation is to leave it in. It will be lubricated so no worries there, I removed mine because I can't leave anything alone. Stock is boring. M&P340 is dead on.

Quick Reply: Baker inner primary bearing.