Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got In An Accident Last Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM
njohnson27
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got In An Accident Last Tuesday

edited

Last edited by njohnson27; 11-01-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by njohnson27

What I learned:

I plan on going back to wearing my full face helmet full time. I like wearing my Biltwell Bonanza, but after hitting my face on the asphalt, I'd prefer to never have that happen again.

I plan on wearing my full leather jacket going forward. I'd also prefer not to have my arms messed up again like they are.

I plan on taking it easier with lane splitting. Even though I was for sure in the #1 lane when this happened, I know splitting is a risk. So I'm going to be more careful next time.

Overall, the situation sucked, but I'm glad it wasn't worse, and I'm glad i'm able to learn from it so I can help prevent it happening in the future.

Hope this can help someone else too by hearing my account. I'll let you know what the total damage ends up being on my bike.
Yup. Often the "dorks" wearing full protective gear aren't dorks at all. They are more likely to be the more experienced riders who have seen some chit go down.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious...what was the estimated speed of the flow of traffic?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Glad you're here to tell it about it, man.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:20 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

That sucks..Way to many cagers down that way for me.. Then again,it could happen anywhere.Glad your ok bud.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:23 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Glad you are basically OK. Could have been much worse, with you being struck or run over after coming off the bike.

After 44 years riding, I've found that one can never be too careful on two wheels.

Hope the insurance company is good to you. If totaled, remember to remove every accessory part you installed that is still viable. They aren't gonna pay for those unless you have complete replacement cost insurance... Good Luck. tomp

Old 08-15-2013, 04:06 PM
njohnson27
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
I'm curious...what was the estimated speed of the flow of traffic?
The #1 lane was moving faster than the other lanes. I would say #1 was in the 30-40 mph range.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

I am very glad you will be okay and were not hurt worse than you were. Driving in LA? Wow... I can't imagine that. Maybe because I lived so long in Atlanta, Ga and know how dangerous that traffic is. Where I am now is nothing compared to that and I ride to work every day the weather permits.

Oh and I have always worn a full helmet, except on rare occasions and short runs down the road. I feel safer, not only from hitting my head but from all the things that have flown up and hit my helmet and bounced off!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:01 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

That sucks bro, sorry to hear. Glad your relatively ok though!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you made it out ok. For what it's worth I live in the sticks. At best we have 4 lane median divided roads near some of the bigger towns. I have heard of lane splitting and know what it is. It would scare the shiznit out of me to even try it in a place like you live. Hell, the traffic would scare the crap out of me. I'm sure no one would find fault with wearing a ff helmet in all that. Hope you mend well and get back on the road soon.

Quick Reply: Got In An Accident Last Tuesday