Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration..................

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Switcharoo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration..................

Ok, I have a Switchback. I know some here don't like em, they don't look right, name sounds gay, it's a girlie bike, not enough color options...yeah I know. But I love it...mostly love it that is. Except for the vibration. I don't know what it feels like at 3500 rpms because I haven't had a desire to get her up that high. 60-70mph at 2500/2600 is fine...But in the lower gears, she vibrates bad. Can't feel it but it sounds terrible. If I rev at idle, it is NOT music to my ears. I have read so many ideas and theories on how to fix it but the HD dealer just says it's a dyna 103 thing. they tell me if I go to shorter pipes(been done by others), that it throws the balance off and makes the vibration worse. One guy said to loosen muffler clamp.(not sure I want anything loose).
At idle, when not holding the bars, they shake rattle and roll. Just grab them lightly and that stops. I can't figure out where the noise is coming from though. I fixed the quick release backrest so that has no play at the docking points. The windshield doesn't look like it's rattling....
Any ideas? After 7 Japanese cruisers, I made the plunge to HD....she rides great. A tad on the heavy side for me as I am only 5'4"...but I want to get the seat modified to give me a little more of a wider stance when stopped.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

All Dynas shake at idle. That's by design, having rubber mounted motors.
So you don't have a vibration, you have a noise. Big difference, so tell us what it sounds like and at what rpms/gears. There are a few Switchback owners here and maybe someone is going through the same thing.
One thing it seems a lot of new Harley owners do is to lug their motors. I don't know your riding style but it's possible that's what you're hearing. Use the revs, it's not gonna blow up.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 AM
Switcharoo
1st Gear

I don't think I'm lugging the engine. The best I can explain it is that when I get up to 2800 or higher rpms in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear, I get a noise that doesn't sound like the motor. And when I rev at idle, I hear it when I throttle down. Could be perfectly normal for this bike, just never heard it on any other bike I have owned.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Guessing your bike's still under warranty...?? Has the dealer looked-over the frame & motor mounts? They've been known to crack/break...also, don't let dealership off the hook - discuss your concerns w/Service Manager. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 PM
beagle01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Switcharoo
I don't think I'm lugging the engine. The best I can explain it is that when I get up to 2800 or higher rpms in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear, I get a noise that doesn't sound like the motor. And when I rev at idle, I hear it when I throttle down. Could be perfectly normal for this bike, just never heard it on any other bike I have owned.
Check the mounting clamps on the header covers, they can give off a vibe at certain revs.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

you DO have a vibration.. and it IS NOT normal even for a dyna

it has to do with the exhaust design and the bracket that comes off of the transmission.... i woul post the link but it is not allowed here so do a google search for switchback owners, proboards site and you will find the $5 clevis pin mod in the how to section..

other option is a whole new exhaust system but you have to get one that has its own brackets..

Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

check your front tank bolt

Old 08-17-2013, 09:55 AM
sgerry
Advanced

+1 on the clevis mod. I did it and most of the vibes *while riding stopped.

As for the handlebars, they are mounted with spacers in the top of the triple tree- not sure if they make stiffer ones. If you look at it when its idling, you will see the front tire just shaking away too.

I did the clevis mod, then took it to the dealer with the HD service bulletin. They drove it and found no issue.

As for the pipe ideas, most of the folks on here who have changed to a different pipe have noticed the shakes are less.

Its my first big V-twin, and my first HD.

Personally i just don't keep it in that rev range. I zip on through that range and ride it in the torque.

Glad you like the SB!!

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
you DO have a vibration.. and it IS NOT normal even for a dyna

it has to do with the exhaust design and the bracket that comes off of the transmission.... i woul post the link but it is not allowed here so do a google search for switchback owners, proboards site and you will find the $5 clevis pin mod in the how to section..

other option is a whole new exhaust system but you have to get one that has its own brackets..

Last edited by sgerry; 08-19-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 AM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to the dealers and ask to hear another bike and it sounds the same then that's the job sorted. If it's not the same the should no what to do. My 05 revs free and yes it vibrates in a dyna way.
Good luck tbone.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 AM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain

Took me a bit to get used to the vibration of the Dyna. Even argued with my mechanic who shrugged and replaced motor mounts as I insisted.
Didn't change a damn thing and now I'm used to it.
I don't get any noise though.

When I start going squirrley over something I can't find on previous bikes (rattle/noise)the easiest solution was leave it with the mechanic to ride for a couple days.
I used to have an old Shovel that made so much noise, knew exactly when something was wrong.. something changed. Took a while to get used to the Dyna but I'm there now.
Good luck, and happy trails

Quick Reply: Vibration..................