Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member, new bike, game plan for mods and customizations

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Carder69
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, new bike, game plan for mods and customizations

I like most newbys have been lurking and absorbing as much as possible. I am the owner of a 2013 Dyna WG and have started to make it my own.

My bike is stock for the most part - removed passenger seat and added fender bib, replaced the front controls with Kury zombie, added a HD flame gas cap and LED gas gauge. Have Kury ISO grips to add soon when I make a choice on bars - looking at Burly Narrow Apes.

My point of all this is I feel like I am at the HD supermarket picking up stuff as I walk down the isle with no real plan for the "final" look. It seems the black out look is more or less a theme, but I was curious if people do this ad hoc or sketch out their look?

Are there established themes and I am talking more about the accents of the bike and not new seat, pipes, AC, bars, tuner stuff, but more derby/timing covers, mirrors, chrome covers, and custom stuff.

I read about one customizer/builder that spoke of less is more and that made some sense to me.

Maybe the fun is trying and swapping stuff until I see something new. I appreciate any comments for those who have already covered this ground...

Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Joeozark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like chrome. Back in the 60's if it was black, it was because you didn't have the money to make it chrome. LOL
But that's just me. I was able to come up with the scratch to buy a 2009 Super Glide Custom and I did get my bad knees and rear end a better seat. As for extras that will have to wait. Retired and money comes slow. Point is, there is no set way or theme, make this your Harley. Enjoy ownership of an American icon.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Carder69
I like most newbys have been lurking and absorbing as much as possible. I am the owner of a 2013 Dyna WG and have started to make it my own.

My bike is stock for the most part - removed passenger seat and added fender bib, replaced the front controls with Kury zombie, added a HD flame gas cap and LED gas gauge. Have Kury ISO grips to add soon when I make a choice on bars - looking at Burly Narrow Apes.

My point of all this is I feel like I am at the HD supermarket picking up stuff as I walk down the isle with no real plan for the "final" look. It seems the black out look is more or less a theme, but I was curious if people do this ad hoc or sketch out their look?

Are there established themes and I am talking more about the accents of the bike and not new seat, pipes, AC, bars, tuner stuff, but more derby/timing covers, mirrors, chrome covers, and custom stuff.

I read about one customizer/builder that spoke of less is more and that made some sense to me.

Maybe the fun is trying and swapping stuff until I see something new. I appreciate any comments for those who have already covered this ground...
Shoot me an email at themouth1@gmail.com and I may be able to help you with some parts...I have a TON in my garage...

Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I suggest you should have a final look, what you would want it to look like in the end.
This really helps lot.
Make a list of what you need to achieve that look.
A sketch is really not necessary.
Congrats on the bike
Ride safe

Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 AM
cameron.m
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was the same with my new street bob but once you spend a bit of time on these forum's you get inspired and you will have a vision for your bike

Mine is a combination of a few bikes I've seen as everyone has done something awesome

Welcome aboard

Old 08-16-2013, 11:40 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

About 7 months ago, I began where your are at now. Brand new 2013 Midnight pearl Wideglide. I do as I have done with every bike and gun I owned. I see what I like, what would enhance and what will improve. Then make an excel spreadsheet list of parts and mods. That list changes and is easily edited. But then at least I have a direction and plan. Basically I try to look at it in three steps of priority (within reason) as well. Although opportunities have messed with that priority theory. Like sale prices and my recent wreck. But I still was able to stay on task for the most part.
1. Performance- engine, exhaust, tuning, suspension etc
2. Comfort- seats, bars, pegs etc
3. Style (looks)- covers, chrome/powder coating etc

Good luck, congrats and enjoy the journey!

Last edited by ! rock103 !; 08-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.