Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from primary, normal or??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Abandoned
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Noise from primary, normal or??

I am lucky enough to have an 06 dyna so i'm very aware of the issues revolving around the primary. Which maybe makes me a little too aware and nervous of every noise I hear.

Anyway to get to it, I've been hearing a noise from my primary for a while now. Not sure when it started but it seems like it's gotten louder lately, or maybe i've just been paying more attention.

As far as the noise it sounds like a whirling coming from the primary but it only happens when in gear and moving. No noise at idle, but the more throttle I give it the louder and faster sounding the noise gets, and it stops as soon as I engage the clutch.

I know the noise from the ipb is exactly the opposite, since mine only happens when in gear and moving. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Is it just the primary chain making noise? Or something else I should be looking into?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:44 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

The only other issue I've heard of is the primary chain tensioner. I think they might have fixed that in 07 but not sure.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Andrew17019
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that noise in gear and at low speeds. I didn't do anything about it and developed the noise in neutral a month later. IPB replacement fixed both noises.

It could also be chain slap from a bad tensioner as stated above....

Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 PM
civilbob
Cruiser

Interested to see what it turns out to be. I am experiencing the same thing. But i dont know if it has always made this noise or if i am just paying more attention to it now.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 06 models had a few problems in that area.....If it were me, I would certainly pull the primary drain plug and check for metal shavings, and I would pull the oil filter and cut it in half and check the pleats for specks of brown/orange plastic type bits which will be bits of your tensioner shoes... good luck.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 PM
civilbob
Cruiser

Just did all my fluids and all looked good. My 06 only has 3400 miles. Could i have serious problems already?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Abandoned
Road Captain

I was planning on upgrading the tensioner, either welding or red loctitiing the bolts for the stator and of course swapping out the IPB over the winter this year. I just don't want to rip everything apart if there is no real issue. I had my local indy listen for the IPB noise with a stethoscope and he told me there was no noise at all coming from the bearing. Would the chain tensioner only create the noise under a load? I would think it would happen even at idle as long as the primary chain is moving the tensioner should be working and therefore the noise shouldn't go away when I pull my clutch in while moving or at idle. Nevertheless it does sound either like a bearing or a chain rubbing kinda whirling noise.

When I changed my primary oil a couple months ago I did not see any mass amounts of metal shavings, nor were there a lot on the drain plug magnet.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put my bike in the shop for the IPB but the noise I was getting was when it was in neutral and the clutch out. Sometimes it would be pretty loud other times not too loud. When I put it back in gear it would go away. Maybe it your clutch I've heard that kind of sound from them before.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Abandoned
Road Captain

just considering the primary is completely quiet when in neutral I'm pretty sure it's not the IPB. Never thought about the clutch, but I guess anything is possible.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:45 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Not the ipb if it's not making noise at idle in neutral clutch out. Usually an issue with the tensioner is it being too tight and most noticeable at a stop idling when hot. But it's possible if the bike is quiet enough going down the road you could be hearing the chain being too tight when under load. It's kind of strange that it goes away with the clutch in. I don't see it being a problem with the clutch. Nothing in the clutch is turning or doing anything with the clutch out. It's when you pull the clutch in that the plates seperate, the basket turns seperate from the hub and the hub bearing is turning.

Quick Reply: Noise from primary, normal or??