Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hayden Primary Chain Tensioner

Old 08-18-2013, 10:17 AM
amfhd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hayden Primary Chain Tensioner

I have just replaced my inner primary bearing on my 06 FXDI w/26500 miles. When I opened up the chaincase, the auto tensioner had the primary chain way tight. I ordered and installed a Hayden tensioner. When using both springs that come with the kit, the chain seems excessively tight, like no give at all, and not real easy to install. If I use only the outer spring, the less stiff of the two, it still seems like more than enough tension. My question is, anyone that installed this tensioner use one spring or both? I am thinking of returning it and installing a manual tensioner.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Can't help you with the Hayden, but if you end up getting a manual tensioner, let us know which one, and how you go about adjusting it.

Or can you link to the product you have in mind?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:16 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Hey AMFHD, I'm getting ready to take delivery on a new Road Glide Ultra that has the HD auto tensioner and I want to replace it. What is Haydens part number? I have the M6 on both of the Dynas I have, and really like them.. Go to Touring section and look for the thread on the Hayden stuff, there are pictures posted could help you out.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Abandoned
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was planning on installing a hayden this winter. This is the first time I've heard of anyone having an issue with it.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:05 PM
johnnyjellybean
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Abandoned
I was planning on installing a hayden this winter. This is the first time I've heard of anyone having an issue with it.

Go with the Baker. You won't be sorry.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I am reading correctly, you are afraid that the 2 springs will hold the chain under more tension than the auto adjuster which over adjusts and doesn't back off?

Installed mine per instructions and liked the way it felt.

Am going to ride it a season then recheck the measurement and see if a shim is needed. Don't forget the pad needs to get broken in...basically it gets worn in to where it should be till it rides on the chain's rollers.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:12 PM
amfhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Can't help you with the Hayden, but if you end up getting a manual tensioner, let us know which one, and how you go about adjusting it.

I don't remember where I saw the manual tensioner- maybe on ebay. But it is like the old shovel tensioners, open up the primary and check it, loosen the bolt and adjust it, of course the shovels had a cover in the outer primary for access. Not real convienient for a Dyna.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 PM
amfhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Abandoned
It may not be an issue at all. It just seemed like way to much tension to me. Before I close up the primary I'll give Hayden a call and ask why so much tension.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 PM
amfhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Warp Factor

I just checked, it is the Baker Tensioner.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 PM
amfhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Hey AMFHD, I'm getting ready to take delivery on a new Road Glide Ultra that has the HD auto tensioner and I want to replace it. What is Haydens part number? I have the M6 on both of the Dynas I have, and really like them.. Go to Touring section and look for the thread on the Hayden stuff, there are pictures posted could help you out.
It is the M6 BT07. Other than dealing with the spring tension during install, it fit fine and went right in. Thanks, I'll see what other riders have to say about them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hayden Primary Chain Tensioner