Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a BDL Open Primary on a Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone with a BDL Open Primary on a Wide Glide?

I want to buy a BDL 3" Open Primary for my bike. Does anyone have one installed on their Wide Glide?

I would apprciate some pics if possible. I know the BDL Open Primaries have the billet cover on them. I would like to run the belt drive without the cover...do any of you have experience with this?

Thanks

Chris

Old 08-22-2013, 06:29 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive been wanting to do this also, But was TOLD not too because of extra strain on motor lugging the extra weight and mass from the oversize belt? The guy who told me this is a harley dealer mechanic. He said they are fine on bikes not ridden much. Im calling it bs but he knows more than me. LOL. Plus i priced the project around 3grand. If you have any info about dependability please keep me posted.

ps, take the brake caliper insert off, looks better black! see my pic

Last edited by xracer110; 08-22-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Mine is not on a wideglide but I have been running a open bdl with the backing plate for awhile now. The clutch is hit or miss. Not like the stock clutch. Overall though it is a great product. I got a wicked deal on mine from one of the guys who writes for the horse backstreet choppers. Total I probably have 450 bucks into mine. I ride quite a bit of miles too even though it is a rigid.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 PM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior

My govt. computer willnot show me pics linked to certain sites so I can't see the pic.

I have never heard anyone with a BDL Open Primary have any complaints but I have never seen one on a Wide Glide.

I found them on Harley Direct for around $1600. That is a 2" Open Primary. They did not have a 3" listed for the Dyna. Anyone know the big difference other than looks of the wider belt?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:09 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

That's it. It's just wider pretty much.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior

Thanks misfit

Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
The clutch is hit or miss. Not like the stock clutch.
What do you mean by "hit or miss"?

Originally Posted by xracer110
Ive been wanting to do this also, But was TOLD not too because of extra strain on motor lugging the extra weight and mass from the oversize belt? The guy who told me this is a harley dealer mechanic. He said they are fine on bikes not ridden much. Im calling it bs but he knows more than me.
How bad can they be? Harley replaced chain drive with a belt didn't they? If it's good for the final drive, how can it be bad for the primary?

Old 09-13-2013, 11:50 AM
DM1975
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Mine is not on a wideglide but I have been running a open bdl with the backing plate for awhile now. The clutch is hit or miss. Not like the stock clutch. Overall though it is a great product. I got a wicked deal on mine from one of the guys who writes for the horse backstreet choppers. Total I probably have 450 bucks into mine. I ride quite a bit of miles too even though it is a rigid.

Sorry, I have nothing to add to the conversation. Just wanted to say that your bike looks bad ***.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks man ^

As far as hit or miss. The stock clutch engages smoothly and you can kinda have it partially Engaged. The bdl is either fully engaged or not. It's a little jerky but not bad at all. It is supposed to be a stronger clutch after all

Old 09-13-2013, 10:32 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Here are some more pics for you

And my dyna

Quick Reply: Anyone with a BDL Open Primary on a Wide Glide?