Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just finished fatbob stage one + power vision... very cool, but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 PM
MuddBugg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just finished fatbob stage one + power vision... very cool, but...

installed hd heavy breather and radius 2-2 exhaust tues and did the power vision this evening... did a quick run down the road and back... have to say am loving the set up... a few thoughts and questions tho... after installing the exhaust pipes, I was flipping thru the manual and noticed I missed the part where the you only tighten the exhaust flange nuts 120 in lbs... just tightened them up to " pretty tight"... didn't crank down on them much, got about 1-2 threads showing on the studs... didn't hear or feel any exhaust leaks.. think itll be alright like it is?...
also.. got the pv unit from fuel moto, and the map seems pretty good except for a lot of gurgling, popping on decel... I know the map will have to be tweaked to fit my particular bike and that some decel popping might be expected no matter what... I have been reading for days on this issue and others... so here are some questions..
should I ride the bike like it is without altering the fuel moto map for awhile, so the ecm can "learn" or whatever its supposed to do?
will using auto tune basic help the decel pop? when using autotune basic, should I start with fuel motos original map or the bikes factory original map?
ive read that autotune basic may not be able to fix everything and that there is also a quick tune feature...at what point would I start messing with that? how does the quick tune feature and the autuo tune basic feature compare, as in which is better to use, easier, more effective, less likely to mess something up?... do I auto tune and then tweak with quick tune?
how important or at what point should I start using the laptop software to do stuff? it all looks to be pretty intense and technical... ive read the manual and whatever for all of this... am getting the notion that using some of this stuff, a lot of this stuff, requires a much better understanding of engines and fuel injection than I have.. is this something that's better left alone?.. would hate to screw up my bike by playing god with its guts and all...

Old 08-22-2013, 10:31 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

A lot of questions that would take pages to answer completly, - keep studing the PV through this forum but I'll try to help.

Torque your exhast nuts to HD specs and recheck often, mine get loose fairly quick.

Run the Autotune on your PV at least 3-4 times before you try anything else, and use the map FM sent you.

Get WinPV set up on your computer and start to learn what all you can do by having the PV instructions by your side.

If you still have decel pop after 3-4 Autotunes then go to WinPV and look at the AFR map and at your 20 MAP column and richen up the AFRs by about 5% in the RPM where you are having the problem and then reflash your bike and go ride, repeat as necessary. Example: your AFR is at 14.1 in the 20 MAP column where you have problems, change it to 13.6 and go ride.

Another place to help with decel pop is the Decel Enleanment chart - you can REDUCE these numbers too by about 5% in the problem Temp areas and go ride.

The great thing about PV is you can tweak and tweak and go back to a previous map if you don't like what you did - but you do need to do some homework, but it is worth it!

Here is my AFR(Lambda) map for a comparison:

Last edited by HD Pilot; 08-22-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

And my Decel Enleanment Chart:

Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 PM
MuddBugg
Cruiser

thanks for input... im kinda startin to get a feel for some of it... ive noticed that there is something about adjusting decel stuff in the quick tune section... would this be a viable way to fix some issues? maybe decal pop? or is that something for more experienced people?

Old 08-23-2013, 06:55 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't have PV. I use TTS. But same principles. The key to using any of these systems is to collect 'good' data before going and messing with the other tables. So when you let off the throttle.. are you just going from 90% to 0% in a second? Try doing it slower and more gradually when auto tuning. Gives the system(s) time to react and record properly.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:34 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Using Quick Tune is more of a broad "shotgun" approach to adjusting your tune - nice to use if your out on a ride away from your computer. It can adjust your tune in 5 different "regions" or globally. It also allows you to change some of your default settings like idle rpm, Rev Limit, ACRs, etc. Not really the best way to adjust the way your bike is running, better to use WinPV.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by MuddBugg
installed hd heavy breather and radius 2-2 exhaust tues and did the power vision this evening... did a quick run down the road and back... have to say am loving the set up... a few thoughts and questions tho... after installing the exhaust pipes, I was flipping thru the manual and noticed I missed the part where the you only tighten the exhaust flange nuts 120 in lbs... just tightened them up to " pretty tight"... didn't crank down on them much, got about 1-2 threads showing on the studs... didn't hear or feel any exhaust leaks.. think itll be alright like it is?...
also.. got the pv unit from fuel moto, and the map seems pretty good except for a lot of gurgling, popping on decel... I know the map will have to be tweaked to fit my particular bike and that some decel popping might be expected no matter what... I have been reading for days on this issue and others... so here are some questions..
should I ride the bike like it is without altering the fuel moto map for awhile, so the ecm can "learn" or whatever its supposed to do?
will using auto tune basic help the decel pop? when using autotune basic, should I start with fuel motos original map or the bikes factory original map?
ive read that autotune basic may not be able to fix everything and that there is also a quick tune feature...at what point would I start messing with that? how does the quick tune feature and the autuo tune basic feature compare, as in which is better to use, easier, more effective, less likely to mess something up?... do I auto tune and then tweak with quick tune?
how important or at what point should I start using the laptop software to do stuff? it all looks to be pretty intense and technical... ive read the manual and whatever for all of this... am getting the notion that using some of this stuff, a lot of this stuff, requires a much better understanding of engines and fuel injection than I have.. is this something that's better left alone?.. would hate to screw up my bike by playing god with its guts and all...
You are more than welcome to send an email with all of your info to jamie@fuelmotousa.com and I will send you revised map. If you need any assistance you are also welcome to contact us at 877-729-4754

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Now that is service!!
I`m going this route when the time comes.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:48 PM
MuddBugg
Cruiser

yep, service from fuel moto/ Jamie has been as expected, which is to say excellent... others may sell the power vision cheaper, but the service after the sale from fuel moto has got to be worth a whole lot more than the few extra bucks...

didn't get to ride much last night, just enough to be amazed at what a difference the upgrades made... and this is just bolt on stuff right out the box... love it!!!

Jamie, thanks for invite.. but unless you think downloading a whole new map is the better/best/easiest way to get a more perfect tune, I think I will try the auto tune basic feature first... I didn't expect the map to be perfect right out the box, after all, my bike wasnt there to tune in person...the map that came with the unit aint that bad and actually, am kinda impressed with whole deal... bolted on my upgrades, flashed a tune... bike started right up, idled smooth, ran stronger, pulled harder, cruised without fuss.. the only thing is the popping during decal... only when I let off the throttle and let the engine slow me down.. if I engage the clutch it stops... the popping is just bad enough to cause worry...

all in all, am satisfied with everything, including the map... at the moment, the decal thing is just something that has to be worked thru to finish the job... and am hopeful that even more power is to be found once the tune is fitted more to my bike....

Old 08-23-2013, 08:00 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

auto tune basic will tune your decel out for you, the only thing is it won't tune past 4600 rpm.

Definitly do not need a new map for that little problem just learn how to use and apply the autotune.

Start tuning as soon as you like, if you don't like the results you can revert or re-tune anytime.

Quick tune changes stuff so you can try it, but will automatically revert upon restart of your system.

You don't have to mess with your laptop at all. the beauty is it can all be done on the PV, but it is fun to load your previous map and the revised map to see what changes have occured.

Don't put your factory map back in unless you ditch the PV for some weird reason!!!

am getting the notion that using some of this stuff, a lot of this stuff, requires a much better understanding of engines and fuel injection than I have.. is this something that's better left alone?.. would hate to screw up my bike by playing god with its guts and all...
LoL truer words be seldom spoke. You paid good money for that tuner, Let it do the work for you !!!

Last edited by maddghost; 08-23-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: just finished fatbob stage one + power vision... very cool, but...