Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 AM
pechorin75
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal problem

Hi everybody,

Just bought my first Harley--a 1,700-mile '10 Fat Bob from a guy who decided motorcycling wasn't for him--and I'm loving it so far. Really great bike--so much fun!

One little issue, though. It failed its state (Maryland) safety inspection because the left turn signal doesn't "work right" according to the inspector. Actually, it functions perfectly--but for some reason you do have to push the button on that side harder than other side to trigger the signal.

Anyway, I thought it was kind of a weak reason to fail the bike, but I want to fix it. What I'm wondering is, Have any of you guys had similar issues? And if so, what ended up being the solution? I don't have a shop manual for the bike yet, but I'm thinking I'll start by doing a little exploring inside the module on that side--maybe see if I can get to the switch itself and use some contact cleaner--but I have no idea what I'm in for there.

Anyway, appreciate any insights. Just trying to avoid unnecessary trips to the dealership.

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Disconnect the negative from battery. Cover bike carefully with a blanket and padding. Get you a stool to land stuff on and remove clamshell around switch. You may be lucky to find some crud under the rocker but doubt it. It's probably broke internally no older then it is from a blow. I think the replacement is going to come with short leads. It needs to be soldered in and shrunk wrapped. Do not let this be you first learning experience with solder and patience. It's tight in there.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 AM
pechorin75
Stage IV

Thanks, Ripsaw. Based on that, I'm thinking that unless it's something obvious, like crud in the switch, it'll be going to the shop. I don't consider myself good enough w/ a soldering iron to attempt a fix in tight quarters.

Out of curiosity, why the cover/padding for the bike? Just general precaution because I'm working on it?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Originally Posted by pechorin75
Thanks, Ripsaw. Based on that, I'm thinking that unless it's something obvious, like crud in the switch, it'll be going to the shop. I don't consider myself good enough w/ a soldering iron to attempt a fix in tight quarters.

Out of curiosity, why the cover/padding for the bike? Just general precaution because I'm working on it?
When you take the screws out of the clam shell and pull it apart, least on most, it's still tied over the tank and such. All the wires are bundled inside and ty-wrapped. Once you cut that and pull it all out, it's still got all those other wires tying it to the clam shell and bars. Not like it all comes off and you can carry it over to the bench. There is enough length of leads to get it out in the opening, but it's still over tank. Once you bounce a screwdriver or hot solder off the tank and it then bounces up and off the front fender and of course off the side of the wife's car in the next bay...guess you can call that 3 points? That's what usually happens to me and mine never goes to the shop for anything. I think I have finally learned. I have too thick spreads, two chair pads and a couple sheets sitting next to the tool box to remind me.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-23-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would leave it and get the bike inspected elsewhere. If it is functioning, it should not fail. how hard you have to press a switch is irrelevant. Thats a lot of work for something so trivial.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

First off welcome to the family. I am just a little sounth of you on the St. Mary's side of the bridge.

I would do what DesertDyna said and take it to another shop. Where did you take it anyways?

Your lucky its the left housing, that right one needs some specail care when pulling it apart, the left is cake. You could have some junk in there or the rocker cover could be cracked or broken not letting it make a full rocking motion and the reason you need to push a little harder/more.

Sorry, your a little futher north than I was thinking, I was thinking Prince Frederick for some reason. Anyway, I hope you get the problem worked out without to much trouble.

Last edited by blueangel73; 08-23-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

spray some electrical cleaner in there. unless you have some kind of wire issue that should fix it right up. if you can get the bike re-inspected some where else I would do it.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep...as stated above, it seems like a contact issue on the switch. Clean it and try it.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 PM
pechorin75
Stage IV

Well, I cracked it open and tried contact cleaner, but I'm not sure how much it helped. I think the switch itself may just be slightly damaged or defective. I'll probably just see if I can get it to a shop that will pass it, and worry about the "fix" later. Thanks for all the replies.