Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New shocks

Finally after 5+ yrs of riding on stock shocks I upgraded.

My S.O. bought me a set of Progressive 444 SD in black for my birthday recently. (I'm gettin old dang it!) These are the 440 replacements.

Did about a 125-150 miles with them this weekend, with a passenger.

The bike feels more planted on the road. I left the shocks set at the softest setting. It seemed not as susceptible to the wind on the interstate however I did catch a couple of crosswinds that just knocked me across the lane. For the most part the bike stays where you want it.

I'm not going to say they are the best or the worst, however it is an improvement over what I previously rode on.

Got them off Powersports Superstore on Amazon. Under $470.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Congratulations. From what I've read, you want them stiff. Seems counter-intuitive but I've had my Ricors pretty stiff since I got them and compared to the softer setting they work better. Can you adjust the sag?

Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

My first test putt around town was with one full turn stiffer. That was a solo ride. I liked em.

I figured with my SO on the back, I'd turn back a bit. I didn't hear any complaining (how could I at 75-80mph? Lol)

Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

You softened them for her? If I'm reading that right. Opposite of what you want to do. Added weight = stiffen them up as they'll compress more. Softer for solo.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM
iwantalowrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these the standard spring or the heavy duty spring setup? I ordered the same in the standard spring for my 06 lowrider about a 2 weeks ago and they are on backorder. Hoping to see a difference over my original stock setup.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by mattVA
You softened them for her? If I'm reading that right. Opposite of what you want to do. Added weight = stiffen them up as they'll compress more. Softer for solo.
Really? Totally opposite of what I reasoned out, logically. I'll try that next time. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by iwantalowrider
Are these the standard spring or the heavy duty spring setup? I ordered the same in the standard spring for my 06 lowrider about a 2 weeks ago and they are on backorder. Hoping to see a difference over my original stock setup.
Yes, they are the SD version. I don't know where you ordered your shocks from but my SO ordered them last Sunday or Monday night, and I had them in hand late friday night. Powersports Superstore on Amazon.

[EDIT] I should add: Progressive P/N: 444-4038B. Standard duty. Black.

444-4048b/c is HD version in either black or chrome

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 08-26-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:14 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Think about it. A shock has x amount of travel. It compresses with weight. More weight, more compression, less travel. Therefore you want to stiffen it with added weight to maintain its performance. Loosen it up and you'll be bouncing all over the place.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by mattVA
Think about it. A shock has x amount of travel. It compresses with weight. More weight, more compression, less travel. Therefore you want to stiffen it with added weight to maintain its performance. Loosen it up and you'll be bouncing all over the place.
Guess that makes sense too. Thanks, Matt.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

those look sick

Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

these shocks definitely like to be run stiff. Ive got mine down to about 2 and a half lines showing and they seem to get better every time I tighten them a bit.

Quick Reply: New shocks