Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW info regarding fall away test. (?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NEW info regarding fall away test. (?)

First, I know the "steering head bearing" and "fall away" test has been discussed a whole lot in this forum. But I have 1) a concern about how the measurement is made and 2) a problem in that the test does not work on my bike. I have read all posts I could find and no others seem to have this situation.

First, the measurement issue... the manual says to measure (tape) at front fender tip. I've read that others measure front front of tire. But the measurement depends on where you stand, or in other words the distance of your measure point to the center of the pivot point. So lets say your tire goes 5 degrees before falling away... that distance is smaller the closer you measure to that pivot point. The 5 degree angle would be much larger if measured from the front tire, being farther away from the center of the pivot point angle. Plus, some bikes have different fenders, so that would also change those numbers. This process does not seem to be very accurate to me.

Second, my bike issue... my Dyna is a 2009 Low Rider so it does NOT fall under the service bulletin for a new washer. So I can perform the adjustment and come up with a fall away test that seems to be sufficient. But when I put the stem nut back on and tighten to the specified torque (70-80 ft lbs.) then there is absolutely no fall away to the right of the bike. (And no obstructions...falls away easy with loose stem nut.)

Am I missing something here??

Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JT-FXDL
First, I know the "steering head bearing" and "fall away" test has been discussed a whole lot in this forum. But I have 1) a concern about how the measurement is made and 2) a problem in that the test does not work on my bike. I have read all posts I could find and no others seem to have this situation.

First, the measurement issue... the manual says to measure (tape) at front fender tip. I've read that others measure front front of tire. But the measurement depends on where you stand, or in other words the distance of your measure point to the center of the pivot point. So lets say your tire goes 5 degrees before falling away... that distance is smaller the closer you measure to that pivot point. The 5 degree angle would be much larger if measured from the front tire, being farther away from the center of the pivot point angle. Plus, some bikes have different fenders, so that would also change those numbers. This process does not seem to be very accurate to me.

Second, my bike issue... my Dyna is a 2009 Low Rider so it does NOT fall under the service bulletin for a new washer. So I can perform the adjustment and come up with a fall away test that seems to be sufficient. But when I put the stem nut back on and tighten to the specified torque (70-80 ft lbs.) then there is absolutely no fall away to the right of the bike. (And no obstructions...falls away easy with loose stem nut.)

Am I missing something here??
I've come to the conclusion that fall away is a 'guideline.' I haven't measured, but I know mine is outside of the spec. It easily takes a few inches each side to 'fall away' and the spec is only what. .3-4" total travel. But my bike handles great and has zero issues. I know some adjust to spec, hate it, then adjust by feel and road tests. It goes straight, turns easily, doesn't wobble, so I don't see the point in messing with it to get it to spec.

Last edited by mattVA; 08-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:38 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been having issues lately which makes me want to get this right; pop when applying front brake, squirly front end, and even some wobbling. I did tighten the star nut so the fall away was 3.5" before putting the stem nut back on. It does seem to ride okay, but no fall away with the stem nut tightened has me concerned.

As for the measurement, it seems to me it would make more sense if the moco gave a distance away and perpendicular to the neck frame to measure the fall away. Then, this measurement could even be taken up around the bars for that matter. Or, even a quick calculation from there could get a distance right at the neck, 1"-2" away, to make it easier rather than setting up chairs, pointing devices, etc. to get a measurement.