Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track days?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Track days?

Anyone do any track days on their dyna? How'd it go?

been thinking about it, my friend races supermotos so I go see him race and practice and he has all the gear I need. I know it wont be anything like doing it on a sport bike, but I think it'll be fun and I'll learn a lot about my riding and my bike.

2001 FXDX by the way.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like fun. Go for it.
Wish that opportunity was avail here.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM
_trooper_
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will learn more in 1 day at the track than years on the street. I've never done it on a harley, but I have 10 + under my belt on 600's & litre sportbikes. I say go for it is the school/td org will allow it.

I have seen it done on a sportster (he was passing people in novice groip lol), a goldwing, and a yamaha Tmax scooter.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Bo_Jangles
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done it on my old 08 SB but be careful the constant high rpm runs and hard decel required to "preform" on the track caused me to blow my primary seals and the bike leaked like a b****. I came from a sportbike background and did several trackdays in the past so I was probably more comfortable than someone going out for their first time. But like he said above you will learn more on that one track day than you will in a year of riding. Take it easy concentrate on body positioning and braking and you will have a blast..

Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Pros:
Fun
You learn a lot about yourself and your bike.

Cons:
Can be abusive to the bike; IE: clutch, potential get-offs.

Depending on the value of your bike, and how you value your bike, you might be better off adding a track bike to your garage.

You mentioned SuperMoto. If you haven't done it, know this, it's one of the best experiences you can have with your clothes on. Even a moderately powered 250 will challenge you every time you hit the track. You can pick up a WR250X pretty cheap and save the wear and tear on the FXDX.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:19 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

get the track pro or instructor to teach what he can in the time allowed! You will learn alot bout cornering, line selection, braking and accelerating. If thats not availible I would beg, borrow, or steal your buddys super moto bike for a day. then go back on the HD, You will have to duct tape any glass or plastic stuff like, headlight, sigs, mirrors so when you fall the debris dont go all over the track. If you go post up on this thred!!!!! would love to hear and maybe see a few pics on your experience. The only advise I would give is: enter the turn slow, exit fast. Beginners do all the braking before the turn. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my fat bob exceeds laguna seca's DB limit.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

crashing it and general abuse are my two main worries, because theyre expensive to fix haha. I think I'd put some of the bungking sliders on if I did it. But every time I'm there I want to be out there!

SLV, i actually used to have a street legal wr450 supermoto, rode it way too wildly for the street, ended up getting pretty hurt in a crash and decided I should sell it and buy a "sporty" harley instead. Keeps my wheels planted and off the sidewalks and stairs, but as you can see, I still want to ride hard. Just safely.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:39 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

if your close, get a used bike and cut laps, you will have a blast!!!!

Old 01-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

This is an old thread but I just signed up for a track day with my DX in June so its finally happening! Hoping I keep the shiny side up haha

Quick Reply: Track days?