Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Dyna Glide Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, FXR Super Glide, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by: True-Track Inc.

P

Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Default Dyna Wide Glide problems

Hi everyone,
It is with heavy heart that I must tell you, I haven't ridden my 2012 Dyna Wide Glide for a week. I've put 3500 miles on it over last summer and this summer, and it's not very comfortable, but this is besides the point. I live in Minnesota, and there's lots of dirt and sand around here. A week ago, I almost spilled on a curve in the road with my girlfriend on back because there was a little dirt on it, however the Honda Shadow in front of me blew through it at almost double my speed. The bike has been notoriously unstable on most roads out here. I followed a road king down a road, he was doing 60, I couldn't keep control over 35mph. I'm currently too terrified to ride it, my sportster never showed signs of these issues, and I've really lost trust in this bike. On top of the unstableness, the air cleaner bruises the inside of my right knee. I have begun to really regret my "upgrade" and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what I can do to fix these problems? My Harley dealers are willing to sell me $1200 worth of stuff for comfort, but they have nothing for the stability.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Road Master

Maybe you should look into some good tires. Something that has a better grip.I am not sold on Dunlops. But I did have a set on the E Glide I just got rid of. They were the Elite III, they were a good tire. Soon as I need a set on my Lowrider I will be getin rid of the Dunlops.Not sure what I will get but will be researching for a better tire. Just a thought. As far as the air cleaner, mine hit the inside of my knee to. So I got rid of the football and got the small round cleaner cover from Harley now my knee clears it.
Clap

Last edited by clap; 08-28-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Old 08-28-2013, 11:30 AM

I doubt tires would cause many of the issues I have. Some of them maybe, but not the uncontrollable left to right handlebar swaying that amplifies itself as you drive that I get on washboarded roads at more than 35 mph. I'm really scared of this bike... I ride with guys on sporties, and road kings, goldwings and shadows, none of them have the issues I am having. It's terrifying to ride this thing!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Road Warrior

If your description is accurate, it sounds like there's something wrong with the bike. Try riding a different one at the dealer and see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't, tell the dealer to fix it (assuming you still have a warranty.

The wideglides can handle just fine. Maybe the factory forgot to put bushings in the swingarm or something. LOL
Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 AM

On clean pavement, it handles fine. The dealer did the thousand mile a few months ago, and found nothing wrong. I live pretty far from the dealer, so "borrowing" another wide glide to check out the ride on my back woods dirt roads doesn't seem like something they'd be okay with.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Road Master

Sounds like 1 of 2 things.... btw.. I ride a 2006 Wideglide.

Either there is something wrong with your headset, wheel balance or front forks or you are stiffening up and not riding correctly.

My wideglide is super stable in any conditions.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Senior Rider

Ask your dealer to check the alignement. Yes, the alignment. Your DynaGlide does not have a frame mounted swing arm and requires a precision allignment to front and rear wheels in order to track properly. The swingarm on your bike is bolted to the back of the transmission, which in turn is bolted to the rear of the engine. There's allot of room for error there. I would also recommend you take your bike to an indy or another dealer for a second opinion. Your bike should not be unstable in 30mph curves or on dry dusty roads.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM

I should clarify unstable: it feels like the front tire looses grip, and it dips suddenly and extremely, I've only saved it before with throttle and inertia. If I only drove it on clean paved streets, I would think someone describing these problems had a defective bike too. However, the bike is great everywhere except when there's a little dirt on the road, or when I'm on a road made of dirt. I would love to ride this bike hundreds of miles to get a second opinion, but I think I just need to get rid of it at this point. Even if I got it fixed to the point where it was stable everywhere, I lost my trust in it... You can't ride a bike you don't love, and this one tried to kill me a few times, so needless to say I don't have a lot of love for it.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Senior Rider

A little advice. Give it time! I own an 1997 Dyna Wide Glide and they are considered by most the most difficult bike to ride from Harley Davidson. The reason is two items! 1. The not very wide front tire, 2. The wide distance between the fork tubes. There is a flex between these tubes especially in turns that can be a little unnerving for some people. A fix has been to install a fork tube braces to stiffen up the flex (twisting of the tube alignment). I don't have one since I road choppers for years and that is just part of the riding experience. When I switch from my touring bike to the wide glide, I have to get used to the steering control/front end twitch. Wide Glides are not high speed cornering bikes, never have been. They were modeled after the old style 1970's choppers and kind of ride like them. A passenger will really make the front unstable due to the shift of weight more so to the rear wheel and lightening up the front end. Just give it time and don't waste a bunch of money from the Stealer! They will try to convince you to add a bunch of crap and it will do nothing but empty your wallet and pad their bank account. Time riding that bike will improve your trust in it. Dyna's are very quick bikes, but the Wide Glide is also the hardest to ride with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaship View Post
Hi everyone,
It is with heavy heart that I must tell you, I haven't ridden my 2012 Dyna Wide Glide for a week. I've put 3500 miles on it over last summer and this summer, and it's not very comfortable, but this is besides the point. I live in Minnesota, and there's lots of dirt and sand around here. A week ago, I almost spilled on a curve in the road with my girlfriend on back because there was a little dirt on it, however the Honda Shadow in front of me blew through it at almost double my speed. The bike has been notoriously unstable on most roads out here. I followed a road king down a road, he was doing 60, I couldn't keep control over 35mph. I'm currently too terrified to ride it, my sportster never showed signs of these issues, and I've really lost trust in this bike. On top of the unstableness, the air cleaner bruises the inside of my right knee. I have begun to really regret my "upgrade" and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what I can do to fix these problems? My Harley dealers are willing to sell me $1200 worth of stuff for comfort, but they have nothing for the stability.

Vietnam Veteran 71-72
U.S. Navy Veteran
President, Jokers Veteran Alliance MC
Old 08-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspirate View Post
A little advice. Give it time! I own an 1997 Dyna Wide Glide and they are considered by most the most difficult bike to ride from Harley Davidson. The reason is two items! 1. The not very wide front tire, 2. The wide distance between the fork tubes. There is a flex between these tubes especially in turns that can be a little unnerving for some people. A fix has been to install a fork tube braces to stiffen up the flex (twisting of the tube alignment). I don't have one since I road choppers for years and that is just part of the riding experience. When I switch from my touring bike to the wide glide, I have to get used to the steering control/front end twitch. Wide Glides are not high speed cornering bikes, never have been. They were modeled after the old style 1970's choppers and kind of ride like them. A passenger will really make the front unstable due to the shift of weight more so to the rear wheel and lightening up the front end. Just give it time and don't waste a bunch of money from the Stealer! They will try to convince you to add a bunch of crap and it will do nothing but empty your wallet and pad their bank account. Time riding that bike will improve your trust in it. Dyna's are very quick bikes, but the Wide Glide is also the hardest to ride with ease.
Actually, the wider trees will result in less twist of the front end.

A passenger will not lighten the front end, if they are normally positioned with their center of mass either over, or in front of the rear axle, unless you're accelerating hard. No different from any other Harley in that respect.

I haven't noticed any twitchiness in the front end, and I have a background in both chops and sport bikes. But your earlier model may have the smaller diameter fork tubes, so maybe it's different.

Hard to ride? My wife got on and rode it with no problem, except she's really stretching to reach the forward controls. Rode it about half the time last weekend (we were switching off between bikes). She has found Streetglides and Electraglides harder to ride.

Maybe it's true that a wider front tire would help on dirt. I've never ridden the Wideglide on dirt roads, so I wouldn't know about that. I'll probably lace up a wider front wheel at some point, but that's for looks, not because I've found anything deficient about the handling.

I still think there must be something mechanically wrong with the OP's bike. It shouldn't be all that different from his Sportster in terms of stability and riding difficulty.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:31 PM

P