Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i had forward controls fitted to my streetbob today

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 04:34 PM
cameron.m
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i had forward controls fitted to my streetbob today

So I'd not test driven a bike with them fitted before (not good I know) but i I had sat on a few bikes with them before and I like the riding position

I'm not a short **** but not that tall either (5'11) but I find myself shuffling forward into position as I pull away from a standing start

Once I'm going I have no problems at all but it does lead me to think I'm just a tad to short

I was thinking of fitting a bare bones seat but now I am having second thoughts as I think that will move me further from the controls

Maybe I just need to get used to it, has anyone any suggestions

I have read all the MIDs vs forwards threads and its not about that now as I have taken the plunge, I'm just after advice on how to improve my ride

Thanks in advance guys
Cam

Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cameron.m
So I'd not test driven a bike with them fitted before (not good I know) but i I had sat on a few bikes with them before and I like the riding position

I'm not a short **** but not that tall either (5'11) but I find myself shuffling forward into position as I pull away from a standing start

Once I'm going I have no problems at all but it does lead me to think I'm just a tad to short

I was thinking of fitting a bare bones seat but now I am having second thoughts as I think that will move me further from the controls

Maybe I just need to get used to it, has anyone any suggestions

I have read all the MIDs vs forwards threads and its not about that now as I have taken the plunge, I'm just after advice on how to improve my ride

Thanks in advance guys
Cam

Forwards take some getting use to. Are you having issues reaching the controls? I am 5'11 as well and have a 13 WG. I cant stand mids at all I feel cramped. You may just be use to the riding position of mids and are trying to find the sweet spot for your new set up for comfort. It took me a good 100+ miles of in town riding to find that spot. Being 5'11 you should have no issues with reach. Do the controls feel too high or sit too low?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 PM
cameron.m
Cruiser

I've done about 50miles (from the dealer, home) so probably need to put a few more miles on them.

My heal comfortably sits on the pegs so I don't think its a reach issue.

A few things sprint to mind..

1. The distance from foot on floor to peddle
2. From the peg i feel as if I have to twist my foot inwards to use controls, doesn't feel natural at the moment
3. Adopting the safety position at lights etc (foot on rear brake) feels unnatural too.

Even typing them out makes me think it's just a case of getting used to them

But am I right about the bare bones moving me away from the controls?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure the BB's will. I had that seat on mine before the one I got now. The one I have now moved me even further away. I'm 5'8" and had no probs with the bare bones. It's just a different position and you will get used to it. I love being stretched out as opposed to the mids.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cameron.m
I've done about 50miles (from the dealer, home) so probably need to put a few more miles on them.

My heal comfortably sits on the pegs so I don't think its a reach issue.

A few things sprint to mind..

1. The distance from foot on floor to peddle
2. From the peg i feel as if I have to twist my foot inwards to use controls, doesn't feel natural at the moment
3. Adopting the safety position at lights etc (foot on rear brake) feels unnatural too.

Even typing them out makes me think it's just a case of getting used to them

But am I right about the bare bones moving me away from the controls?

Yeah the feeling of having to bend your foot is normal at 1st sadly. It will be come second nature rather quick though. This is especially noticed with the rear brake with a larger than stock air cleaner.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 PM
cameron.m
Cruiser

Cheers guys, you've put my mind at rest, there's only one thing for it..... RIDE

Enjoy your labour day/weekend

Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 PM
99%r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't get used to it. Harley makes a reduced reach kit. I am 5-11 and have the reduced reach forward controls, and really like them.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Stressfest
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was toying with the idea of forwards on mine.. decided to go the highway pegs route first. I ride mid controlled bikes all day as part of work so I find the position pretty comfy...but will be nice to stretch out on those longer trips though.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered some Kury fwds for mine and can't wait! In ways I'll miss the mids, but not enough to keep em. I like the control, but hate the cramped feel. I've had bikes with both, and the fwds just take some getting used to. They are much more comfortable, imo. Same height as you.