Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From SE255 to TW555...changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default From SE255 to TW555...changes

Lots of tinkering this summer. My 2011 Fatbob just turned over 34,000 miles. Keep in mind I enjoy doing everything myself. I know just enough to get myself in trouble !

Started out the summer running SE255's in my 96". From VH BR 2-1, to stock header with no cat and VH slip on's. I was never really super impressed with the 255's but at least they were much better then stock. I used the SERT and did my own tunes. So it was a learning process. Getting a good dyno done may have produced better results.

Then picked up the powervision. Probably one of the best investments I've made for the bike. With the real time monitoring, it really helps you understand what's going on in your map. Plus the powervision threads have a ton of good reading to help the DIY'er !

Next Craigslist's got me a Fatcat pipe with the big bore baffle. Love the sound of this pipe. But I knew the big bore baffle was aimed to larger builds.

Good deal on some TW555's from one of our members and another cam swap was in process. Picked up a map from fuelmoto. After I put these in I thought what the hell did I do. Super soft on the bottom end. After some autotunes and other assorted corrections I had a respectable ride. Better on the bottom. And exactly what everyone says about the 555's, They really start coming on around 3000 rpm.

And I know 555's need compression. hehe..scored some SE 103 HC pistons on ebay. Figured I would do them this winter.

The day the pistons showed up an exhaust stud broke on me. DOWN INSIDE the dang head. Tried to drill it out on the bike and used an extractor. Failed...but didn't wreck anything So off come the heads.

I'm convinced that if you break off a exhaust stud in the head, TAKE IT OFF ! Then get the JIM's exhaust plate and drill out the stud and re-tap the hole. Works slick. I'm a machinist..recommending that.

The words rang thru my head even when I first looked at the broken stud. Your only 4 bolts from a big bore !

So off go the jugs for a bore and hone. I machined the heads myself for compression releases. And back together it goes. Here's my specs.
103ci at 10.6:1 compression
.040 Cometic head gasket
Corrected compression 9.74:1
CCC 200.5

Added an oil cooler also. I think that's a must for a hot rod

No headwork done yet. I'll pull them this winter and work on them. I was down 10 days to get this done. And in Minnesota we need all the ride time we can get.

She's broke in now. I have about 1100 miles on the new build. WOW. I like the new power.

Oh yea...also used cometic exhaust gaskets. I'll never used anything else. Exhaust stays tight. Only retorked once and really didn't have to.

Morale of the story. The boys here are right on the fact, 555's like compression. I'm really happy with my motor. For now......

Thanks to this forum and the information available I'll tackle anything on my bike.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Nice work man! Your bike looks great. Can't wait to do my motor this wintering make it a rel go fat hot rodder. Hhhaa

With the jagg cooler did you get the vertical(can't tell form your sig pic). Did you get the. Unto attic thermostat or manual?

Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 AM
Strobe
Club Member

I got the HD cooler. The horizontal low mount. It was priced right, $100 on craigslist ! But I will be adding the jagg slimline vertical also. I want to try the dual cooler and see how it performs.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

bad ***

Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,288 Likes on 21,381 Posts

The majority, if not (besides the 222's) all of woods cams need a bump in compression.
The majority of them also come on in the late 2's as well.
The evo cams do/did too.
Nothin' new here.

Maybe he'll come out with 333's, or 444's, besides the 222's.
That might be the ticket..or possibly look at some other cams?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice info, looks like you are quite the shopper - seems like whenever I see a good deal, it's already sold!

Did you keep the stock lifters? What pushrods are you using?

Might think about the Wards cylinder cooling fans, thats the direction I think I will be going if I ever make up my mind on what engine mods to do.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

I'm running almost the exact setup you are, except I had a mild port job done to my heads when I had them off, and I'm running a Thundermax ECM. Puts a big smile on my face every time I twist the throttle. Same as you, I started with the 555's in a stock 96 and was a little disappointed, but the 103" and more compression, along with the Big Bore FatCat turned it into a different animal.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My TW 777's come on at 1800 with 10.25:1 C. Jamie reccomended the 10.25:1 because I asked to make sure I would feel the torque right down low. Still have the curve cross over at 5200 like most dyno sheets. Goes like hell!
I know who sold you those cams strobe! He is an excellent mechanic and he built my 107 for me!
@ mr. Summers I hope your not speaking about those 555 cams when you say good deal, I offered you my 777's when they were just two weeks old and you said you wouldn't want any used parts on your bike! I was gonna let you have them for the same price mr. Strobe paid for his 555's!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:25 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey maddghost, no not talking about used cams, but thanks for that offer! I am talking about unused 107" kits and fork braces, rear shocks etc. Plus I am still undecided on size of cams, 106/107 or not, headwork or not, on and on - the more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know! Talked to Steve at GMR and Keith at FM yesterday and both conversations have me rethinking things - I think I just need to digest some more, no real hurry.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Strobe
Club Member

Originally Posted by alansummrs
Did you keep the stock lifters? What pushrods are you using?

Might think about the Wards cylinder cooling fans, thats the direction I think I will be going if I ever make up my mind on what engine mods to do.
I used the stock lifters for now (c lifters 16,000 miles on them). Staying in the budget.. Wood lifters will come this winter.
I used the fuelmoto adjustables. Knowing they are made by smith bros, I think they're among the best out there.
I did set the preload on the lifters to .150
The valvetrain sounds really good with that preload. Wrrrrrrr

Wards cooling fans look pretty good.

maddghost, envious of your build. That must be fun !

It's rather addicting. Maybe I can save some $$ this winter. A 117 would sure be interesting. I probably tinker too much. Keeps me out of throuble.

Quick Reply: From SE255 to TW555...changes