Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to determine the Source of a fluid splatter may be coming from ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Messedupalready
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to determine the Source of a fluid splatter may be coming from ?

Finally got my 2006 Super Glide back from the shop and took it for a 45 mile ride.

When I stopped for a drink, as I'm coming out of the convenience store, I notice there are beads of some kind of liquid spattered on the lower area of the rear fender, immediately behind the battery.

I can't see any source of a leak (oil or transmission seal) so I'm wondering if the cell might be leaking ?

I rode the bike home, took off the battery cover and noticed there was moisture on the side of the battery.

Was going to replace the battery, but can't get it out of the tray.

Wiped down the fender and the battery......took it for a shorter ride and no splatter beads on the fender.

How can I tell what the fluid splatter may be coming from ?

The fluid is not thick like oil but not runny either.

And any suggestions on how to get a battery out of a 2006 Super Glide ?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

If it smells like bad eggs then its battery juice. To get the battery out you undo the 10mm bolt at the centre of the bottom of the battery cover and pull the cover towards you and up at the same time. It has locating lugs at the top.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,137 Likes on 11,099 Posts

Why was your bike in the shop?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:09 AM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they changed oil and put a little too much in its possible that some oil came out of your breathers and as you were riding sprayed back on the fender. Kinda a long shot though.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

you took the cables off the battery terminals and couldnt pull the battery out of the tray?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:44 AM
Messedupalready
Intermediate

yes, I removed the cover and the cables (-) first (+) second, then took off the strap.......but can't get a good enough grip to pull the battery out. I reached around the lower right side of the battery tray and tried pushing the battery through the small access hole with my right hand while pulling on the upper and lower edges of the battery with my left hand......and the only thing that happened is I rocked the bike.....battery doesn't budge.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Try putting a couple longer bolts (metric) on the terminal connectors or hook a piece of wire to them to give you something better to get a hold of while using a putty knife to wiggle the bottom of the battery up and down. Just be careful not to damage the terminals

Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Messedupalready
yes, I removed the cover and the cables (-) first (+) second, then took off the strap.......but can't get a good enough grip to pull the battery out. I reached around the lower right side of the battery tray and tried pushing the battery through the small access hole with my right hand while pulling on the upper and lower edges of the battery with my left hand......and the only thing that happened is I rocked the bike.....battery doesn't budge.

If your voltage regulator is shot and over charging the battery will puff up like a small furry critter and leak fluid....this may be why you can't get it out....just a thought....

Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,297 Likes on 2,353 Posts

If your bike was washed after the service maybe it was some cleaning solution left in a cubby hole some where. Wash the area with a mix of baking soda and water if it fizzes up you found battery acid and time to get rid of the battery.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Y2KFXDman
Advanced

I suppose that you have engine oil or air filter oil. Commonly on the battery if you have an open air filter or something like a Screamin' Eagle or a Big Sucker behind the TC football, rather than a stock air box.

Engine oil (clear to gold tint) coming from the breather(s) due to: oil filled at or over the FULL mark and/or poor umbrella valve operation aggravated by sustained highway RPM's... assuming your engine does not vent breather(s) remotely into atmosphere.

Air Filter oil (clear to pink tint [K&N] or other) due to: excessively oiled filter gauze/foam and/or messy carb farts/reversion.

Quick Reply: How to determine the Source of a fluid splatter may be coming from ?