Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any need for a battery tender in FL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 PM
sigtau150
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any need for a battery tender in FL?

I recently moved to FL and heard that batteries only last about 3yrs in FL due to the heat. When I had my bike in for service, I asked about the average life of a battery in FL. He started right off by telling me that I should get a battery tender and that it would help the battery last much longer.

Is there any truth to this or was he just trying to sell me something that I don't need. My bike is always kept in the garage when I am not out riding and often sit for a week without being used since I travel for work a lot, so it would be easy to plug in while I am away.

I saw this one was only $40 - http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...battery-tender and has an auto shutoff so it wouldn't overcharge the battery and I could just leave the charging harness connected.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

battery charger is useful. hooking it up all the time im not so sure about.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Battery will discharge faster in the heat than in the cold. Yes, get a tender.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:18 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Battery will discharge faster in the heat than in the cold. Yes, get a tender.
your battery shouldnt discharge in a week.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Who said it will discharge in a week?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 AM
outlaw16
Cruiser

IMO, a battery tender is an important gadget to have regardless of where you live. It seems to have prolonged my stock battery even after being completely drained once or twice. I am still running the same battery that came with the bike when I bought it in September of 2007.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

hooking a battery tender up all the time isn't going to hurt anything, after fully charging the battery they automatically switch back to a float mode. If your riding your bike once a week its probably not necessary. When my bike sits for a week and I plug it in it only stays on for about 2 minutes and my charger (Yuasa) only puts out 900 mA.

HD's 39.99 charger is a rip off. You can buy the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. for less than 25.00 on eBay with free expedited shipping. They are a worthwhile investment

Old 09-03-2013, 10:11 AM
sigtau150
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Who said it will discharge in a week?
They didn't say it would discharge in a week, but they said that to be able to regain the power used during a start you have to run the bike for an hour at 3000+ rpms. I found that one hard to believe.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 AM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by sigtau150
They didn't say it would discharge in a week, but they said that to be able to regain the power used during a start you have to run the bike for an hour at 3000+ rpms. I found that one hard to believe.

Who told you that?!?! I'm near you, been living here for ages and used bikes as primary transportation several times. Meaning quick trips to the store, work, etc. I don't think I've ever rode for over an hour at over 3K rpm either. If that was true, you're battery would die after a series of quick trips.

The battery on my '06 RK lasted 5 years down here, and rarely hooked to a tender. Even discharged it once in the middle of that lifespan. The battery on my Dyna not so much, but only because I took some time off and it discharged to the point of no return.

Now, as mentioned, it never hurts to put that battery on a tender, as once charged it will shut off. If you travel a bit for hurt and have a hectic schedule, then it is a good idea as you may think you're going to ride next week and then 3 months goes by. This happens with me and my boat and I finally got in the habit of pulling the battery and putting on tender in between use.

Either order the tender online, or go to Batteries Plus if you don't want to wait for shipping. They are a very convenient tool to have

Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 AM
sigtau150
Cruiser

Originally Posted by outlaw16
IMO, a battery tender is an important gadget to have regardless of where you live. It seems to have prolonged my stock battery even after being completely drained once or twice. I am still running the same battery that came with the bike when I bought it in September of 2007.
OK, this is exactly what I was wondering. If it extends the life of the battery and wasn't just something that ya needed if you live in a cold state, than it would be worth getting.

Originally Posted by ynots
hooking a battery tender up all the time isn't going to hurt anything, after fully charging the battery they automatically switch back to a float mode. If your riding your bike once a week its probably not necessary. When my bike sits for a week and I plug it in it only stays on for about 2 minutes and my charger (Yuasa) only puts out 900 mA.

HD's 39.99 charger is a rip off. You can buy the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. for less than 25.00 on eBay with free expedited shipping. They are a worthwhile investment
Thanks for the info on the Deltran, I found this one on Amazon
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive
1600+ ppl reviewed it and still has a 4.5 rating is good to see and I like that it comes with the fused ring connectors, so I don't have to pull off the battery cover every time I want to plug it in.

Quick Reply: Any need for a battery tender in FL?