Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Street Bob Owner & Need Help

Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 AM
cpimenFXDB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Street Bob Owner & Need Help

Good Evening All,

I just bought a 2008 Dyna Street Bob and had it for a few weeks now. The Dyna was a one owner and only had 4100 miles. I rode it home approximately 100 miles and had no problems. I've rode it around town and didnt have any problems until today. I noticed the bike seems to have a popping sound sort of like a backfire from the exhaust while im taking off or while riding.

It does it occasionally not everytime I take off. When it did today it was while i was shifting. Once I got to 4th or 5th the bike lost power and popped then accelerating the bike. It then happened again as I was riding and was on 6th gear. This time it popped a few times, i accelerated the throttle and was fine. When i released the throttle because i was getting to a stop sign the bike shut down.

I started the bike back up just fine. I took off just fine and once again while riding in constant speed it backfired again causing the bike to accelerate then shutting down once again. This time i actually started the bike while riding.

The bike does have Vance and Hines short shot headers. I dont know if that is affecting the performance. I know the previous owner didnt ride it that much. I believe the last time he rode it was 5 or 6 months ago.

I need some help anyone know why this could be happening?

Thanks

Old 09-03-2013, 06:12 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Does the bike have any sort of fuel management system be it from the dealer (sepst, etc), V&H Fuelpak, Power Commander, etc?

Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

Have you put gas in it? If the previous owner didn't ride much, you could just have bad gas. Always start with simple first.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:41 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe throw some Sea Foam in with that new gas. Miracle working stuff.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 PM
CJ Sedona
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah may just need re mapped since its got exhaust now and possibly a air intake

Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 AM
cpimenFXDB
Intermediate

Thank you all for the responses. I honestly didn't ask if it does have a fuel management system such as a fuelpak etc... I will look to see. Also, I did think of the gas since it was sitting there for a while. I have filled tank only twice since I bought the bike so not much riding either. I will definitely look into the sea foam stuff mentioned. Someone also advised I may look into the coil for a bad connection and the fuel pump relay. What are your guys thoughts on that? Also if it doesn't have a fuelpak or if it does. Would it be recommended I do install one or get it remapped in the event it does have one?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2013, 04:14 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 250 Posts

Get fuelpak if it doesn't have one, drain and replace fuel, fit new spark plugs, get back to us.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:47 AM
Stressfest
Advanced

I'd say if its V&H and no fuel management, that could be the issue. If there's an exhaust flapper valve, that can cause some weird notes if its not been disabled.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:01 AM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

If you've put gas in it twice I'd forget about that. My biggest question now is if its throwing any codes, does the light come on? And yes, check for fuel management and let us know.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess it was a simple gas fix then huh?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Street Bob Owner & Need Help