Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats going on here? Troubleshooting.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Novacaine_68
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats going on here? Troubleshooting.

I've noticed that twice in the last 2 weeks the battery light came on in my '12 wide glide. It started fine and went off 5-10 minutes into riding. Its the original battery so I figured maybe its time to replace. However tonight while night-riding the headlight would get brighter and then the speedo lights would go off. Then a minute later the headlight would dim back down and the lights would come back on in the speedo along with the little red dot near the middle right of the gauge. After a few seconds the red light goes out and all is well for 5-10 min until this cycle repeats. Runs fine. Starts fine. Is this a sign of a weak battery? No mention of this in the owners manual. Just looked up that the red dot that comes on is the electrical system lamp. Any experience or help would be great.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

A 2012 shouldn't need a new battery yet. I would check your battery connections. Sometimes they vibrate loose.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The first thing to check is to see if any codes are stored. You can do a search here if you don't know how.

If no codes, then clean and retighten your battery cable connections on both ends. Dyna's are known for coming loose.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Novacaine_68
Intermediate

I bet your right on the battery connections. To the garage I go.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

Could be the regulator going bad as well, although usually they just crap out and don't charge. Put me down for another check your connections and let us know

Old 09-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Novacaine_68
Intermediate

Connections were clean as could be. I was able to tighten them maybe a 1/4 turn. They were pretty snug but not as tight as I'd like them. I'll ride tomorrow and see if that was it. Gonna check for codes next I suppose.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

You did check both ends right? Not just the battery connections?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Novacaine_68
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rooti
You did check both ends right? Not just the battery connections?
Yes I checked both ground and power. Both ends. Did a search but only came up with code reading for older model years.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Sounds like the system voltage spiking and that usually is a regulator going ATU or an intermittent ground in your charging system...Your manual gives a procedure to check out the voltage regulator and charging system using a multimeter on ohms and ac and dc volts. Troubleshooting steps for the charging system are also discussed and explained in user friendly detail in several forum discussions as well.

If it is an intermittent problem, it may be difficult to find it unless you can get it to happen when you have the meter on it. The spiking can quickly damage some system components so you need to get that taken care of ASAP.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 PM
BC45
Cruiser

There is or was a recall on all models of HD's except V Rods on certain date codes of voltage regulators. you can go to www.harley-davidson.com/en_us/content/pages/owners/service-your-bike/service-recalls.html and insert your vin and see if it is one of the effected regulators or call your dealer and see if yours is one of the effected regulators

Quick Reply: Whats going on here? Troubleshooting.